Comments (17)

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Thanks orion - good info.

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

obrion, not orion . . . my b key sticks :)

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Henry Fields code should read:"609549" $25 off 50

• mrs.b_in_wy
    14 years ago

What a great idea. Thank you for starting it obrion!

Here's one from a Gurney's e-mail message:

FREE SHIPPING with purchase of Your Seed Starting Kit!â
    This Email Offer Expires December 30th, 2009 at 12pm est.
    Offer Keycode: 0513532

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found another one, Gardeners supply
    Free Shipping code: "MNA7085B"

• riley17
    14 years ago

I was just on the rate and review vendors forum and just thought I'd point out that Henry Fields and Gurneys sound pretty bad. I was going to place an order but after reading those posts I dont think I will. Apparently they are other names that Michigan Bulb Co. goes under and have a lot of complaints with the Better Business Bureau. Lots of unresolved issues I guess. I know I've ordered from them in the past but I cant remember if I was happy with them or not. Just something to think about.
    Holly

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

"I know I've ordered from them in the past but I cant remember if I was happy with them or not."

Sounds like something a politician or attorney would say . . . analogous to being almost pregnant ;-)

I was just about to place an order through Gurney, now I'm a bit ambivalent about that choice.

• daryljurassic
    14 years ago

Just in response to the negative Gurney/Henry Fields comments. Overall I have had good luck with seeds from Gurney's and Henry Fields(they and some others are affiliated)but especially good luck with Henry Fields corn seed, strawberry plants, birch trees and scotch pine. My chief complaint would be the lack of variety, which is why I no longer order from them. No luck with either of their rasberries, white pine - they both refunded or replaced everything the next year(s).

After 7 years, my dwarf fruit trees(Gurney) finally started to produce last year(got 7 pears on one tree...lol). IMO both places' seed is overpriced even with the $25 off(plus $10 to ship the seed pkts). Their nursery stock is questionable but can...be a deal. Four Seasons Nursery(a similar but differnt company?) has some deals if you don't care about starting out with a sapling - just hang on to your reciept/order #...

I think alot of times peoples problems are a result of user error. They have a great and easy return policy. Just don't get suckered into buying too much of their overpriced stuff while trying to take "advantage" of the $25 off "deal"...Their corn seed is about the only thing I might consider buying again. Too many other websites nowadays with a much better selection and value.

• riley17
    14 years ago

I'm just giving people a heads up that maybe they want to check out the rate and review forum for themselves. The reason I cant remember is because I ordered from so many different places last year and a lot of things died but I dont remember where I got what from. I cant remember what companies I called and fought with, there were a few, so I dont want to say for sure I had a bad experience with them. I'm not trying to post negative comments about them, I'm just saying be careful and check out the rate and review forum and make a decision for yourself. If I ever order from a catalog again I will remember to save the paperwork, but I have found that I have much better luck with trades on this site, and for only the cost of postage.

• riley17
    14 years ago

I'm just giving people a heads up that maybe they want to check out the rate and review forum for themselves. The reason I cant remember is because I ordered from so many different places and a lot of things had many problems right out of the box, but I dont remember what came from where. I didnt save the papers and of the companies I called and fought with, there were a few, so I dont want to say for sure I had a bad experience with Gurneys or Henry Fields. I did have some companies I had no problems with, but it was at least two years ago that this all happened, and I just cant remember. I'm not trying to post negative comments about them, I'm just saying be careful and check out the rate and review forum and make a decision for yourself. Thats what its there for. If I ever order from a catalog again I will remember to save the paperwork, but I have found that I have much better luck with trades on this site, and for only the cost of postage. But if you've had good luck with them than thats great, I'm just sharing what I learned, because I wish someone had shared with me about the rate and review forum before I'd placed all those orders. I would have done some homework and probably could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

• riley17
    14 years ago

oops sorry I didnt mean to post that twice.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Apparently they are other names that Michigan Bulb Co. goes under and have a lot of complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

Nope. They are all owned by the same parent company - Scarlet Tanager LLC - but they are not doing business as each other.

Have used both Gurney's and Henry Fields for years with no problems whatsoever. Michigan Bulb Company is a whole other can of worms. ;)

Dave

• riley17
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave, you're right. I went back to the forum and it said names associated with Michigan bulb, not owned by. I also went back and looked under gurneys and henry fields and didnt find anything. No good reviews and no bad ones. I must have read all the warnings about Michigan Bulb and the post about them being associated with Henry Fields and Gurneys. So its just Michigan bulb to stay away from on that list?
    Holly

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Johnny's Seeds, code "10-1006" $10.00 off $20.00.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Park seeds free shipping no mininum order code "SAVEGREEN"

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

According to the email I received the Park Seeds "SAVEGREEN" offer expired tonight.

I ordered from Gurney's last year (and yes, I read the iffy reviews but decided to risk it for a good coupon deal). I was pleased with the plants I received (some were better than I expected actually). I had a few that didn't make it so I'll soon find out if the customer service is as bad as some say... If I don't have problems getting my (few) plants replaced, I'd have no problem ordering again.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gurneys $1.00 shipping, no mininum order. code "512931"
    offer expires 3-15-2010.
    They have those hard to find softball size canteloupe.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES