SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colmjkenny36

Impatient newbie on fall crops

Colm
14 years ago

Hello,

I am in San Diego. We turned part of our lawn into a garden in June. The original soil was incredibly compacted and lacking in organic material. We brought in 2 flatbed loads of compost for 300 sf. an added some Dr Earth and occassional fish emulsion. We had success with arrugala, lettuce, radishes, sweet potatos, and tomatos. Not so much success with squash, pole and bush beans, carrot, beats, and peppers.

In mid-Sept we pulled everything out, brought in another 2 loads of compost, and replanted direct sow. Everything I planted was recommended by various regional guides (OC Register, San Diego Garden, various gardeners I know, etc.) Here's where we're at at the end of October (about 6 weeks in):

Bed 1- Peas seem to be growing and the trellis is p for them to start climbing. Fava and lima beans are coming in

Bed 2- Spinach hasn't sprouted at all. Lettuce has sprouted but no plant has progressed past a pinky nail-sized leaf. Same deal with the arrugala except for one plant that seems to be growning slowly.

Bed 3- Radishes seem to be doing well. Beats and carrots doing about same as before- srpout but don;t really grow.

Bed 4- Mix of herbs (mint, cumin, rosemary, majoram, etc) and flowers (California poppy, calendulas) have sprouted but not really grown past an inch tall.

Bed 5- 2 types of kale and swiss chard- very little sprouting, and nothing grown above an inch.

So, 6 weeks in, is this stuff stunting, or do I need to be more patient? They didn't seem to be doing much when the weather was still warm, and now it's getting into the 40s at night.

Please let me know if you have any advice, thoughts, or questions that might help better inform me.

Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer