SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

Peaches not as juicy as last year or earlier crop?

garedneck
13 years ago

My early july elberta and another peach tree that was mis labeled produced sweet juicy peaches 30 days ago, but my July Elberta's and (white fleshed) redhaven are not reaching full size (maybe 80%) and are more "mushy" than "juicy"?

It has been a hot July/August with temps in the 90's, more pest pressure, spray with Bonide fruit tree concentrate every 3 weeks, 1" water at trees each week if no rain, there has been plenty of sunshine, fertilized trees in spring with 10-10-10, trees look healthy and are growing, maybe the peach skin isn't as pretty this year. Fruited thinned to one every 5 ". The flesh of the peaches easily falls away from the pit or isn't really attached to the pit when cut open (last year the flesh was bonded better to the flesh). I noticed a couple peaches on the tree starting getting the brown rot before ripening.The county extension agent wasn't sure. A couple peaches appeared to have a little brownish flesh at the pit and possible signs of a bug which had eaten its way into the peach, but most peaches looked OK and didn't show signs of internal pests but just weren't very juicy or flavorful.

What do you think caused this and what do you think is the solution?

Comments (5)