SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Highland pear is a crack hoe

12 years ago

OK, so the topic is a pretty weak pun- it does convey the disrespect the Highland pear has earned from me in about 12 years of evaluating the dog.

What's frustrating about trying to choose varieties for my nursery is that descriptions available so often fail to note weaknesses of varieties and tend to only discuss the virtues.

Highland was supposed to be an exceptionally high quality pear with many of the attributes of the esteemed Comice but one that performs well in the northeast. What was never mentioned is that it is highly scab and pear psyla susceptible and cracks like the worst nectarine. This it does even well before being ripe in periods of extended rain which we had this year. In the seven years I've been managing baring trees it has generally been a very poor producer of good but not great pears.

I don't think this pear could do well anywhere in the humid regions. Anyone else have experience with it?

It has joined my list of varieties to avoid here which includes Long John, Redheart and probably Elephant Heart plums (EH is tough to scratch- I believe it can do well here in the partial shade if you can stay ahead of black knot).

My favorite pears to grow instead are Aurora, Seckel (some problems, but so sweet), Bartlett, Sheldon and Harrow Sweet. Besides Seckel, all of these seem to avoid serious bouts with scab and pear psyla.

Comments (13)