SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobbiest

Large scale corn producers ( 10`s or more of acreage ) and tips

hobbiest
11 years ago

How do you folks do it?

I would think that it would be cost prohibitive to fertilize & water several football field sizes full of corn or other produce.

I have seen some of the equipment you folks use to plant and harvest multiple acres of produce. You folks have John Deere equipment that would need an escalator to get into! LOL!

In growing corn, what is your choice of what gives the most yield? I have tried Silver Queen in the years past and since it is a hybrid, I always seem to only get one ear per plant that is of decent size and the rest of the ears were mostly unusable. I am working with a small garden plot that is easy to water and add nutrients to, but for the life of me, I have no idea how anyone could manage a very LARGE scale plot and not spend more to get a decent yield than what was cost effective to grow something else. I have never seen any of my plants with 3 or 4 ears growing on them, ever produce anymore than one or 2 ears that were of usable size. I don`t know why the researchers keep trying to develop a plant that makes many ears but doesn`t yield much in the long run.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Not sure...but my small backyard garden again, is easier to manage than what you big guys have to work with.

I tip my hat to all of you large scale working folks. I am proud of your efforts to stay in the produce business.

:)

Comments (10)