SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Why can't I "soil" root any plants?

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well :)

I have been looking up on soil vs water rooting, watching videos, reading and listening, and for the life of me I can NOT figure out why I cannot soil root my starts! I can water root them, and they do fine,they go into a bit of shock when I put them in soil, but they do fine in a few days. (I know water/soil roots are different and they change from one to the other)

I recieved a Christmas Cactus a few weeks ago, no roots, put them in soil like was told to, and NOT to my surprise, they are not doing well at all. No roots yet. I don't see how you could water root those, I tried to on a TC once, didn't turn out well, but I tried.

I have tried several different types of soil and mixes, and the end results are the same, either they die or I end up putting them in water to root.

I keep the soil/mix moist, not wet. Small containers. Light is as good as I can get right now, but even in summer with natural light, results are the same.

I am hoping that someone will say something new that will click and I will understand what I am doing or not doing...

Any advice or sugesstions would be very much apprecieated, by both me and my starts~~ :)

Marjie~ (afraid to start anything new now)

p/s-- excuse my spelling-- stupid spell check went bye-bye and doesn't seem to want to come back- lol

Comments (30)