SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

Why can't I add soil to containers?

avajay
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm about ready to transplant several (20 or so) tomato seedlings outside within the next week. Many will go in-ground, and I've got several buckets (cheap $2 kind from dollar stores), a couple of 5-gal orange paint/utility buckets with HomeDepot logo, and 2 Sterilite 18-gal totes. Money is limited, and I'm trying to juggle what I have on hand in which to grow my tomatoes. My native soil is a brown/gray clay with many earthworms, so I moderately amend each planting hole with some bagged compost, maybe some grass clippings or shredded straw, and some pine fines. I've already put about 4 of my larger seedlings in, and have yet to see how this turns out. So, the question is, if I can amend ground clay with some of the same things that I can make container soil with, can I not reverse this and use some of my clay to occupy some space in my larger containers, as long as it's well mixed with some good potting mix and bark fines. I currently have 2 cubic feet of pine fines, same amount of sphagnum peat moss, a very large bag (forgot weight, over 40 lbs) of a good potting mix, and I can get some 2 cubit foot bags of StaGreen potting mix from Lowes for just under 7 bucks. I have a 40 lb bag of compost, as well as some straw and grass clippings which y'all will probably tell me not to use, not sure why.

I've seen it mentioned in several posts to not use soil in containers, without a lot of backup reasons. What exactly am I suppose to avoid, and why. ANY soil, even that dastardly Hyponex that dries like concrete? When someone says to use a soil-less potting mix, does that mean that any percentage in my containers will be detrimental, or are they just meaning that I should not choose soil (whether native from my yard or bagged topsoil, or evil Hyponex) as my growing medium.

Also, will one 2-cubic foot bag of mix fill an 18-gal tote? I'm just trying to weigh productivity vs. cost. Don't want to go broke, but I don't want to kill or stunt my veggies, either.

Comments (7)