SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
draasch_gw

glass ceiling light shades --) planters ??

draasch
14 years ago

Greetings All !

A few months back, I was reading SOME gardening-related magazine, when I stumbled upon what I recall was a one-page article with photos. This article described (with not many details, as I recall) how to take those old / antique glass ceiling light shades....the kind with three holes already drilled into them...and turn them into hanging planters!

If you're wondering what kind of shades I'm talking about, here's an image link:

and

http://www.robomargo.com/lindabirdbath3.jpg

Now, I've gone through my magazines and...for the life of me... I can't find this article again! So, I did some Googling and couldn't find ANY information.

In the meantime, I went to some local antique shows and snapped-up four such shades at an average cost of $7.50 each. One of them actually had the chains still attached, but they simply wrapped wire around the ends of the chain, in order to keep it from pulling straight through the holes. Plus, they joined the three chains together at the top just by wrapping wire around it.

Even one of those photo links shows the use of wire instead of chain.

Now, my original plan was, in fact, to use chain. So, I was at the hardware store with my wife, for a different reason. I suddenly thought to ask about this chain. Turns out, it's in the "key-making section". OK, fine, I bought like 20 feet of the stuff.

But now I'm wondering:

1) What sort of parts would I use at the top of this "hanging planter", in order to join the three chains together? There were some strange parts at the hardware store that appeared to have "clamps" on one end that would wrap around the chain ends, and small rings on the other end. I'm wondering if I should try attaching these and running a small metal ring through the holes...and then maybe attach some sort of swivel with an S-hook to that???

2) Assuming I put some sort of beads on the "lower ends" of each chain... and assuming I don't just want to "wrap a bunch of wire" around the ends to keep everything from falling off, what would I do to keep the beads on / in-place and keep the chains from "falling through" ?

3) I vaguely recall that the article said to use some sort of peat moss as the lowest layer of the planter, in order to conserve moisture. Now, the only peat moss I'm familiar with is the stuff you buy that's sort of "loose" and tends to settle in "large clumps". Yet I recall seeing some sort of "sheet-like" peat moss before ???

I'm guess I'm a bit intimidated by working with this ball-chain stuff. I mean, the most I've ever done with it is fix some key-rings.

And I'm not particularly crafty or artsy. I'm a much more "follow the directions" or "copy what I see" kind of guy.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County