SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayak_boy

japanese beetles eating grape leaves

kayak_boy
11 years ago

I have been attempting to control japanese beetles on my grape vines by organic spraying. The recipe is a mixture of garlic powder and cayenne pepper basically. It seemed to work at first, in late June when only a few beetles were showing up. I was gone on vacation for a few days and came back to find many beetles all over 2 of the vines in particular. I've sprayed them, but the beetles seen unfazed! I think they left their scent and the grape vines are now in trouble. The two vines they are attacking are seedless varieties called glenora and lakemont. My estimation is that the beetles prefer these because the leaves seem to be smoother and not as rough as some of the other varieties I grow like concord or niagara. If any of you have experience in controlling japanese beetles organically, please let me know what you do! Also, I'm curious if anyone of you have experiences like I've mentioned with the beetles showing a clear preference for eating certain varieties of grape leaves over others. Any anecdotal words of wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated!!

Joe

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting