SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red50_gw

Could someone ID these Plants?

red50
14 years ago

I found this pic when researching "Alocasia", as I really like the look of the grouping of these plants, could someone give a detailed ID of them.

Down the page to "Five Cool Plants for Hot Weather"

Thanks, Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: martha stewart radio blog

Comments (10)

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

Unsurprisingly, of the four plants in the picture labeled "Alocasia/Colocasia/Caladium," three of the four plants pictured are none of the above. Martha Stewart is not a botanist, nor does she appear to know any. Going from most precise to least precise:

The plant in the lower right with sort of rectangular-tipped leaves is Stromanthe burle-marxii.

The long, narrow silvery leaves which are dead center and center-right are most likely a Calathea of some kind, but I couldn't tell you which. There are many, many Calatheas.

There's a single heart-shaped leaf with its veins outlined in white, sort of hiding under the Calatheas, just barely above and to the left of the Stromanthe, which is probably an Anthurium of some kind. There's an outside chance it might be a Philodendron. (I would guess Anthurium crystallinum, but I make no promises.)

The big huge green leaves with dark veining that take up most of the top third of the picture are actually Alocasia or Colocasia, but I have not yet figured out how to tell the difference between the two genera, nor do I know the individual species or cultivars that well.

None of the four plants in the picture are particularly accommodating houseplants, as they all need very warm, humid conditions. Calathea and Alocasia/Colocasia are also both very prone to spider mites.

• User
    14 years ago

Well, I'm w/ Mr. Sub on this, I saw 4 or 5 plants in that pic & I too had issue w/ the IDs, tho' I can't be more specific.

I also agree & emphasize that these DO NOT APPEAR to be plants for beginners (I don't know if you're that or not). I myself have killed two Alocasias (indoors) & I am definately NOT a beginner.

That said, I will volunteer that my college sweetheart used to winter over his Caladium bulbs in our dark closet thru the grey winters in Buffalo (NY) & take them out in March to start them up again in Spring. They looked beautiful!

• karen715
    14 years ago

The dominant plant in the picture looks like it could be Alocasia 'Green Shield'

I agree with the other IDs given by mr_subjunctive.

• User
    14 years ago

I looked at the pic again just now, more carefully this time. I see no Caladium whatsoever in the pic.

• red50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the responses. I got so excited about the foliage, I didn't read the text, I think these plants are meant for outdoor bedding, not for houseplants, as I first thought. Still it seems IDs could have been given.

Pirate girl, yes, I am a beginner to houseplants. For many years I was afraid to put anything in pot, I thought its death was certain. But, I have managed to keep my rubber tree plant alive for over 2 years. And my husband & I are building a new house, with a sun room, screen porch, & lots of windows, I think house plants are needed. So, here I am trolling for knowledge.

Thanks again, Joyce

• User
    14 years ago

Hi Joyce,

If you've kept your rubber tree going for 2 yrs. you're doing something right.

May I suggest you check around w/ local friends & neighbors & see what grows well for them & then from that group choose what you might like.

You might also check around your local nurseries to see what they might recommend given your part of the country (which I can't tell so far).

As to the pic, I don't think that's for outdoor bedding, I think that's an indoor greenhouse. To have growth that thick & lush, I'm guessing greenhouse w/ high humidity.

Check around some nurseries & maybe browse some houseplant books. Just as a jumping off point, some of the more common starter houseplants to consider might be Pothos, Swedish Ivy or Creeping Charlie (Plectranthus), Spider plants (Chlorophytum), Dracenas.

• rcstampyd
    14 years ago

I tried to grow the Stromanthe burle-marxii, and I found that it grew much better with reverse osmosis water. My tap water burnt the tips of the leaves.

• red50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pirate Girl, Cute name by the way.

I live in Alabama, about 50 miles northeast of Birmingham, where zones 7 & 8 meet. I enjoy walking the several acres that my husband & I own, not much time for that now.
    We are very busy building a new house about 400 ft, up the hill, from our current home. It has an upstairs sun room that is almost finished, I would like to start putting plants in there, but it may get too cold. Do you know of anything that would work in an unheated environment?
    I have ivy growing on the pump house, I was planning to root some of that & do some hanging baskets.

Thanks, Joyce

• yogagrl_flwrpaintr11
    14 years ago

hello :) I believe that the single heart shaped plant is Calathea Crocata...

• yogagrl_flwrpaintr11
    14 years ago

oh, nope. Sorry all, I was thinking of Caladium but no, colors are reversed and foliage not quite the same.. but kinda close lol. Seems to fit in the Calathea fam, imho.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH