SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

blueberry questions, pruning and covering

sunnysideuphill
16 years ago

I have six bushes, four that are 19 years old, two that are six. They are on a slope at the edge of the flatter "yard". They have always done extremely well for me. I try to keep the grass and weeds trimmed away, and once a year I pour on a dose of Miracid (my soil is already pretty acid here in southwest NH). I prune out anything broken in late winter, and the obviously shaggy barked old branches in the middle.

First question: the four older ones are very woody, with the fruiting branches getting longer and longer. They are also getting very tall, especially the two Earliblues which top six feet easily. My soninlaw is just shy of six feet tall, and he is shorter than the big bushes. We had heavy rain last week, and the branches arched over just like some of my rose bushes, with the weight of foliage and fruit. Can I just whack back all the branches to say 4' when they are done fruiting? I thought that doing it in August would give the plant time to set up new growth to strengthen the roots before winter.

Second question, the setup: I used to cover them with old tobacco netting that my mother gave me, but that eventually disintegrated. The last year that I had enough to cover the four larger bushes, I had forty quarts. Without covering, I get to enjoy the cardinal and bluejays... So, a friend spoke to a local man for me, who makes aluminum frames for greenhouses. The suggestion is that he put sleeves in the ground, into which adjustable uprights will go. That way we can account for the slope. The uprights are connected with aluminum cross lines, and the whole thing is covered with greenhouse cloth to keep out birds but let in enough sun for ripening. He suggests a butterfly door in an aluminum frame as well. The door comes off, the cloth comes down after berry season for storage. He says I can leave the frame up year round.

The question: does this sound feasible? I know it may not be economically justifiable, but my daughters grew up picking berries under my mother's woodensupported tobacco netting berry house, and I want my granddaughters to have the same experience. The four year old is already a good clean picker. There is something magical about going into a tent to pick berries...

I appreciate your thoughts.

Comment