SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidwv_gw

Questions About Moving 25 year old Blueberry Bushes

davidwv
14 years ago

I hope that someone can help me with some advice on doing this. Last week my late Mothers home place burned to the ground. Anyway, there are two Blueberry bushes that I planted for her 25 to 30 years ago. I plan to dig them up and plant them here at my home.

These are the things that I need advice on. The bushes are 6 to 8 feet tall. I know that Blueberries are shallow rooted and I will try to get as much of the root mass as possible. How far out from the drip line should I dig? I know that I will lose some of the root mass, the main thing I need to know is; how much of the canes should I prune out to compensate for the loss of the roots? Should I prune out one third or maybe even one half of the canes since it will be a great shock to the plants?

Also, would it be possible for me to heel them in for a period of one to two weeks? Where I live I still have some snow cover, plus it would give me time to prepare the planting area.

I donÂt know if the following information would be relevant, but I live in Southern West Virginia, USDA Zone 6a/6b.

I appreciate any advice from those of you who may have more experience and/or knowledge about blueberries.

Thank you,

David H.

Comments (18)