SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karlkrist

Garden Pics, nothing more, nothing less

karlkrist
14 years ago

Hello Gardenweb-

I've been coming to this forum for a while now, and my favorite posts are just the garden pictures.

So I figured I would post my own pictures for other people to see.

Let me know what you think.

{{gwi:118383}}
Looking South.

Notice the liberal use of woodchips. You'll see them in all the pictures.

{{gwi:118384}}
Around the corner from the last picture...as if you walked forward and made a right turn.

{{gwi:118385}}
This is to keep the cat out of the beds. She's pretty much trained now. This really is worth

every penny though...a motion activated sprinkler.

{{gwi:118386}}
Looking East. I have added a bed since this picture, it would be just in front of where I am, to the

right.

{{gwi:118387}}
Broccoli is easy. This bed is fairly new in this picture, but you can see the el-cheapo Douglas fir construction. I'm against spending too much money un-necessarily, and un-treated Douglas fir has been working for 3 years with absolutely no rot whatsoever.

{{gwi:118388}}

This is/was my decorative herb garden. The herbs died when they came in contact with my soil. I've re-planted the oregano into a hill. I will do the same for the sage. The lavendar (upper left) of course is just decorative. I am going to either put that in a pot, or replace it with a fountain.

Also, notice the sub-bed outside of the rocks. Those are strawberries for my daughter.

My kitchen breakfast nook overlooks this area.

{{gwi:118389}}

Amid the ranuculas is a very small satsuma mandarin tree. Hopefully I get a little more activity this year. You can also see the trunk of a flowering pear tree to the left. By the time that provides too much shade, I will just shrink the garden. It's a plan....

Oh, and those are onions and garlic in the beds to the right.

{{gwi:118391}}

Cantaloupe. Good results, but the voles really like this. They end up getting about half of them.

{{gwi:118392}}

Prepping for winter. Those are coffee grounds in the silver bag. Free from Starbucks.

I put coffee grounds directly in the soil, but I also use them in my compost pile. After adding coffee grounds, the pile heats up almost instantly.

{{gwi:118393}}

Romanesco. Looks great. Tastes like cauliflower. I ended up using a lot of it in soup, which is a shame, since you can't even see it in soup.

>

{{gwi:118394}}

Corn in the distance. Chard, tomatoes, basil, etc. in the foreground. You can also see the brand new bed on the right. The big boxes on the right are my compost piles. They are made from super-cheap 1x6 doug fir, and they far one has lasted for 3 years without any rotting whatsoever.

{{gwi:118395}}

I use the citrus tree bed for basil, butternut squash and cantaloupe. I ONLY got male flowers from the squash, it was a bust.

{{gwi:118396}}

Harvest in the summer. Japanese eggplant is one of my favorites.

Thanks,

Karl

Comments (5)