SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
britania007

Nothing breaks my heart, more than...........

britania
18 years ago

To see beautiful lusch green farm land being cleared to make room for ANOTHER SUBDIVISION!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes me sooooooo mad. And what really ruffles my feathers is to take a look in these subdivisions approximately one year later to view the newly purchased homes going up FOR SALE.

Nowadays, people constantly wonder why they can't afford what their grandparents and great-grandparents could afford (even though they're making five times as much $$$). Well, maybe it's becuase they're grandparents LOOKED AFTER what they had, TOOK TIME TO SAVE $$$ for what they wanted, PAID CASH for practically everything and if they couldn't afford it (NO CREDIT CARD) they waited until they could afford the item.

Today many adults can actually remember the homes their parents & grandparents lived in. THAT'S BECUASE THEY LIVED IN THE SAME HOME FOR MANY YEARS & didn't switch every 2 seconds to keep up with the neighbors.

Sounds like I'm venting???? Yep! I sure am - sorry guys. However; to as many of you farmers out there - If you can continue to keep your property, PLEASE DO!!! You're bringing pleasure to many of us who just treasure FARM LIFE and you are also saving us from SUBDIVISION MANIA.

Comments (33)

• DPallas
    18 years ago

Part of the problem is that as suburbs encroach on farmland, the farmer becomes a persona non grata. I'm constantly dumbfounded by people who buy land in rural areas because they want to live in the country, and then they immediately start trying to turn it into a replica of suburban life. They bellyache about tractor noise, electric fences, manure compost piles, bulls, unpaved roads, and anything that might harm or inconvenience their evil spawn.

Some new person down the street just asked me to sign a petition to have the speed limit reduced from 50 to 35 because she's worried about her brats playing in the road. For as long as I've lived here, (15 years), no kid has ever been hit by a car on a gravel road. You know why? Because kids don't play in the road! It's a tough concept to grasp, apparently. Next she'll want street lights, sidewalks, and traffic signals.

• velvet_sparrow
    18 years ago

The REAL evil: strip malls. Around here they love to tear down neat, old, interesting and/or historical cool buildings and put up another one of those freakin' strip malls. Who needs another dry cleaner/Chuck E. Cheese/mail center/beauty salon?!

• Related Discussions

My HeartBreak

Q

Comments (35)
    I did a lot of trimming and ruminating today. As I was trimming deadened leaves and picking up dropped tomatoes my neighbor came across the swale between our homes and was asking why I bothered so much. He's seen me go through barely walking, 2 hip surgeries and Dennis's issues. He asked what got me out every day to plant, water, trim, deal with life and personal issues then throw it all on the trash heap when nature took a turn. It really made me think, no, not think I spontaneously said to him in a corney kinda way "Cause it's what I do. I love to grow and if it dies I grow it again..." wow, now I really make sense. It's what we DO people. We love it, sometimes we hate it, but mostly WE REALLY LOVE IT! Gardening, no matter what form, large or small, is in our blood. That's why we come here. To brag or cry, to share excitement and promise. It's what we do!! (I now hear Sachmo breaking out in.." I see trees of green, and skys of blue..." it IS a wonderful world, my friends.
    ...See More

Oh, Lord...this breaks my heart (long article)

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh my, this is so sad and really upsets me. What will happen to all the animals who thought they had a forever home? Vique.
    ...See More

'Kids,' My Space, TMI, breaks my heart

Q

Comments (21)
    Neice gave me access to her account so I could "see" her photos and listen to her "great" music. I don't think she realizes I'm smart enough to navigate the entire site. I don't want to burst her bubble and let her know the music isn't really all that great, either. LOL I had to set up a dummy account of my own. I have a fake non-name user name; no personal info other than "married," "age" (was a default setting) and "USA", and have it set so no one except Niece can look at it. Nephew doesn't know I accessed his page. I used his email address, and BOOM!; there he was in all his pierced and tattooed glory. (Their tats don't bother me as much as the lip piercings; and neither bother me as much as the contents and comments.) The page was set to "public" so I could see it. For now, I'm just going to steer clear of the pages and continue to write, call, email, through the regular channels and try to encourage them to do the best they can. I never had children; but here I am, experiencing all the worry, anxiety, fear, anger, and hope "real" mothers are subjected to. Niece is, and has always been, my special girl and spent every summer with me from birth until she was 14. Her 15th summer was spent at home, and she got pregnant. Nephew lived with me two different times for a total of 4-5 years. I wish I could smack their bottoms, send them to their rooms, and ground them until they are 45. I have two other young nieces, three young nephews, and five great nieces/nephews. I better wear out the old knees praying there's hope for these young ones.
    ...See More

My cat, Holiday, is really breaking my heart ...

Q

Comments (8)
    Prednisone isn't usually prescribed for cats because they don't have as much of the liver enzyme required to metabolize it into the active form. Prednisolone is the active form, and it is the medication usually prescribed for cats and any species where liver disease is suspected. Prednisolone is a glucocorticoid steroid. These medications have a lot of effects on every system of the body. One of the effects is muscle wasting, which may be why your cat is unable to use her back legs properly. Steroids do not spare the heart muscle either. If her heart is failing, she may be showing it by overall weakness. Another problem with steroids are that they cause increased urination, which may cause your cat to have lost too much potassium. Potassium deficiency can also cause the symptoms you describe. Yet another concern is that steroid use in cats especially can make them diabetic, which can cause generalized weakness and other serious problems. What condition was the prednisone supposed to treat? Steroids are not generally prescribed for urinary marking conditions or other urinary problems as they tend to make those types of problems worse. Since this is a new problem, you should at least talk to the vet about it, and ask about if the pred could be part of the cause. Because steroids can cause a lot of problems, s/he may suggest a PE and repeat bloodwork, which would be the only way to tell if she had a potassium deficiency or had become diabetic. What you are describing is NOT a normal aging process and may be treatable. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • mountainman_bc
    18 years ago

Do you have 'Agricultural Land Reserve' in the US? I would hope so. Ours arrived late but not too late. Farms can't be subdivided (generally), non farm use of a farm means increased taxes. Here, people with money can buy the farms but they regularly allow others to farm it to keep their taxes down, which helps farmers especially since farmers can't afford these prices anymore.

• DPallas
    18 years ago

We don't have anything like that (except higher taxes on non-farm use) and local ordinances proposed to prevent sub-dividing have been voted down. Because of the demographics, people who live closer to town are aware of their inflated property values, they want to reserve the right to subdivide, and they out-number and out-vote those in favor of such restrictions.

I'd like to see a moratorium on building because there's not enough water. The public supply was built to manage a population density of only one person per square mile, dug wells are easily contaminated because of the local geology, and there are no regulations on how or where septic systems can be placed (if you can even call the things being dug 'septic systems'.) The water table is dropping and not recovering, and that can cause the karst to collapse into sinkholes. This isn't a reasonable area to pump all the water out of the ground, but no one cares if they're taking their profits and moving away.

• erinluchsinger
    18 years ago

My parents are selling their "home" farm to move to the other farm. But, my father just put all the farm land that he's selling into a State Run program that mandates that the land must stay agricultural. He had one developer come and look at their farm (house included... a very nice house at that), and offered them quite a bit more than their asking price and my father refused to sell it to him, and then put all the land into the program. He said that even though he won't own it, he won't ever see it developed. So, he put an end to it.
    Not sure if other states have the same programs. Something to look into, though!

• CrisH
    18 years ago

The large town near me is spreading out into a jumble of McMansion subdivisions and strip malls, no plans for development, just spreading like a cancer on the land. I'm wondering what folks are gonna eat after we have paved the good farm land into Yuppie Mcmansions and strip malls so they can have a starbucks and gas station on every corner...soylent green anyone?? The latest bunch of foolishness includes a bunch of them crying because they wanted a variance to put yet another gas station in because the closest one to them was a whole huge whooping....one mile away, oh the humanity! ..... which was considered too far for the delicate lil flowers to drive their SUV's for gas. They also approved yet another Wal Mart supercenter to go in ...a mere 5 miles from the other super Wal mart which was also deemed too far for them to drive to. Poor delicate lil city folk...LOL. The blight hasnt reached me yet, but a few newbies have moved into the area bringing with them security lights that block the stars and complaints of the sounds and smells of country life...HELLO, get a clue, thats what your milkshake and Big Macs smell like before they come out the drive up window to your car! If you dont like it you can go back to the big town and move into one of the Mcmansion suburbs and leave us alone!
    *getting off of soapbox now*

• stofferj
    18 years ago

Did you ever hear that song by Travis Tritt, "Country ain't country no more"? That's what we feel like here!
    DPallas- We must have the same neighbors because that's all we hear too. Makes you wonder what these people were thinking when they moved here?!?

• chickenmama1
    18 years ago

How I can relate! :( This is terrible. Where the fields were...It's all just teeny tiny little houses-"made of ticky tacky"... And they're all in my backyard. Which is to say that the farmer sold his land which bordered ours. No more put-put old tractor down the road in the mornings. No more riding horses into town. No more wildlife. No more view of War Eagle Mountain. I was always able to gauge what was happening with the changing seasons by watching the snow pack on that mountain. I miss the pheasants and the California quail. No more....
    chickenmama1

• hotzcatz
    18 years ago

Aloha Folks,

Other than the subdivisions themselves what really gets me is when they bulldoze down perfectly wonderful fruit trees to build their ticky-tacks!

Well, we had some "city folks" move into an old camp house (old sugar cane plantation camp - small houses close together in the middle of nowhere) in the next camp over from ours. They complained about everyone's chickens - especially the fighting roosters - and tried to get some sort of law enforcement to show up and count the chickens. They lasted about three months and are gone now, although the fence they put up is still there and still annoying all the folks who used to walk or ride bicycles through the back of that lot to get to the other side of the camp without having to go the long way around. In camps, though, we are close enough together than we can bond together against these sorts of incursions dunno how you could keep them out when there aren't enough folks together in one spot to group together for common cause.

Hmm, if you happen to have a sizeable farm, put the pig barn or all your fighting roosters towards the end most likely to be developed. Once the developers smell the pigs or hear the roosters, they will find somewhere else to develop.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

• LorifromUtah
    18 years ago

The reason farms/ranches are being sold off in my area are not because the farmers/ranchers have been financially foolish but because they are getting old and no one in the family wants the land. Most times the original owners (Dad/Grandpa) has passed away and the children don't want to be saddled with working the farm; they want the money.

Lori

• britania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can see that this problem is obviously wide-spread; however, if we all do our little part (no matter how small) we can avoid this problem from becoming too wide-spread. If we all do a "little", we'll all do a "lot).

Cheers & Well done to all of the farmers who refuse to be "bullied" by those with other plans for "our property".

• ceresone
    18 years ago

the biggest tragedy of all, is the new laws passed, on eminent domain.the way i read it--if what someone else wants is deemed to be more important than what you want--it can be taken!

• britania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm, That's interesting seeing that what may seem important to me may not be as important to another individual. I guess the bottom lines is, as always, TOP DOLLAR$$

If you have any additional information on this law, I'd be interested. In the mean time, I'll do a web search.

• HerringboneD28
    18 years ago

FYI - the eminent domain ruling that ceresone referred to was just passed by the Supreme Court a few weeks ago. It's very disturbing.

Returning to the original thread........the neighbors were leary of us when we bought our home and five acres four years ago. It took a little while to "fit in" but they've learned that we value the same things they do about country life and would not want to change a thing. Urban sprawl is real though, and I'm in full agreement that the last thing we need is another strip mall with a Subway, dry cleaners, Chinese take-out and video rental just like the ones a mile away.

• Siamese
    18 years ago

I'm hoping the subdivions dont come out here anytime soon. A friend of mine has lived on his farm for many years and now they're building a huge subdivion right up behind his house (which was always a very rural area/woods) so hes going to put hogs right on the back of his proprty.. hes so mad!

• hengal
    18 years ago

Had to pop in on this one. This is happening all around us at a very alarming rate. ChrisH - I don't know where you live in IN, but where I live - an hour away from the Big City, the country roads I take to and from work are being gulped up by these subdivisions. It is so depressing. Its the urban sprawl moving northward from the large city and its been going strong now for a few years. Where do all these people come from? How will they fill all these houses? Its just unbelievable to me.

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

Hey 'hengal', no disrespect, but, how many children do you have? Where are they going to live when they are adults? I have two. They will want their own little piece of the world. They'll have to find homes somewhere. Within America, housing developments have always been popular. My dad made a living building pre-fab houses in the late fifties, early sixties.
    With the population growing exponentially, housing becomes tighter and tighter. I recently watched a NJN documentary on the state of housing in NJ. It claimed that within twenty years, NJ will be the first state in the union, to run out of usable building sites.
    People have to live somewhere.
    I don't enjoy the glut, but, accept change,...as it is.
    Maybe, it's our time to remember and enjoy the memories, that we have, of a less populated time. :)

• lilacs_and_hyacinths
    18 years ago

Orcuttnyc, if you look at the demographics, America's population increase is primarily due to immigration. Most Americans seem to understand that modern life often means fewer kids, now that the family has no farm to tend.

However, the political climate does little to discourage foreign born people from settling here and having as many children as they please, with no regard as to whether they can afford to raise their kids.

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

'Lilacs and hyacinths',...doesn't that count us all in? American indians came from somewhere else. Whether it was russia or some where. I'm decended from scottish/english immagrants who came here some four hundred years ago. There has always been people coming to america.
    There has always been the control, based on who was hardy, who could last, who had inititive, who survived.
    I'm all for do what you want, as an individual or group, within the constrictures of the framework of the laws of this country. If it isn't working, change it through due process, if your not happy, vote against it. Isn't that the premise of the freedoms of this country? Allow people to prosper, allow them to fail?
    Well,..that goes as far as we don't believe the hype of the spin that controls the media, which controls the masses...ect... :)
    That ends my politic.

• Pams
    18 years ago

Not to start another war, but I would like those who feel immigrants are always welcome to come to America to start riding their horse to work. We did that years ago too. I am tired of paying the way for others while many here do without. I know a man who lost his job because of a fire. Went in for unemployment. They started his paperwork when a family of immigrants walked in. He was told he would have to wait as they needed to get those people on welfare. He raised a stink, had to take anger management classes in order to collect unemployment - to feed his family. Bull ____! If they don't like their country, let them change it there. Where is Jamie when you need him?

• oregon_veg
    18 years ago

orcuttnyc,
    If American indians came from somewhere else, where did they come from? Why do you think they're called "Native" Americans?
    I'm married to one, would just like your take on it.
    BTW, I'm all for people living happily together. What I AM against are people moving into an area and trying to make drastic changes to "Natives" of that area.
    Whether it be city folk moving into farming areas or foreigners moving into America.
    If the purpose of the move is because that way of life is appealing, I say great blessings to you. If the purpose of the move is to CHANGE the current way of life, I say buy property in the middle of the Atlantic.
    Just my view.
    Tom

• imtoobusy
    18 years ago

I encourage all people who own acreage to look into donating thier land into any number of public and privately held easement programs that will protect their land from development. We donated a perpetual easement on our propery. We didn't get a windfall of money but we did get tax breaks that carry over from year to year for our charitable donation. This land will never have a development on it EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!! We hope to raise our kids to have a love of farming but in case they don't want to continue with this it will go to another family who will farm it.

We have been blessed with a great opportunity to own and care for this land--what a shame if we were to waste our blessing by selling out to the highest bidder.

Yes, people will always need a roof over their heads but why is it that so many think that they need SOOOOOOO much room. These big 4000+ sq ft homes on 5-10 acres of LAWN-- for 2 adults and maybe some kids that are going to leave the house in a few years. Then they end up realizing that mowing, trimming, snowplowing and going up and down stairs ain't so much fun anymore and then need to downsize to a townhouse- or maybe a rancher.

Sigh, whatever-- (hey, anyone seen a farm in NYC???? snicker, snort)

• judyag_44
    18 years ago

Hi,
    We are living on 200+ acres that were owned by my family since 1910. Have three children and 6 grand children. One of our children is preparing to move to a piece of our land from North Carolina. He loves it here and enjoys working on the land so we feel truly blessed. Hopefully we can keep this piece of land from being divided into little 10 & 20 acre plots with McMansions and a bunch of unridden horses like the multitudes of those that surround the town.

The problem here is that this county is being urbanized at a rather fast rate. Property values are increasing by leaps and bounds. Hope that we can manage to keep up with the demands for more and more in taxes.

Just built a new home here with 1200 square feet and a nice double detatched garage. We moved Grandma's "new" house (built by her sons after the came home from WWII) to a different spot here on the farm and are renting it.

Each summer we have our grandchildren come here....from FL and NC to spend a few weeks with us. They are so funny...keep asking if it is OK to go over there....so used to staying within their yards. This summer they learned of the joys of swimming in and exploring one of the branches on the farm. We took them a picnic lunch down to the water's edge one day, spread out a blanket and let them enjoy the total aloneness that is so foreign to them. We are trying to implant a real appreciation for country and nature in them. Surely, those are memories that will stay with them for many years no matter what/where life takes them.

Peace to you and yours,
    Judy

• ceresone
    18 years ago

Ditto, Tom, and Pam.

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hello
    I just have to put in my 2 cents worth. I live in New Jersey which should be the "poster state" for overdevelopment. We are called the Garden State and we are being developed at such a rate we should be called "the blacktop state". In my lifetime, I have seen rural areas turn into something very different. Our farmers are struggling due to a number of things. The demand for housing and the exorbitant offers made by developers plus kids that don't want to farm have severely impacted NJ. I am not a farmer, but love coming to this forum. My husband and I are seriously thinking of leaving the state because the way of life here has changed so drastically. If we ever do move to the country, that's because we love the country--tractors, roosters, etc. And if I ever, ever get there and somebody tries to take it away from me, I will be sitting in my rocking chair on my porch with my shotgun on my lap.
    Bless you all
    Pat

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

Why is it that the new subdivisons are always named after the geographic feature they destroyed? Heritage Forest, Meadowview, Ravensbrook, Silver Creek, Green Acres, The Grange...

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

Sharon sd- Now isn't that the truth! :)

• josie_z6b
    18 years ago

I would like to move to the country, and I'm a city girl born and bred... but I'd shoot myself before I complained about the rural area I moved to being too rural. That's why I want to move; so I can have chickens and rabbits and a real garden.

We aren't all stupid. ;)

• Muppy215
    18 years ago

Unfortunately we're in the position of having to sell our farm due to health reasons. Locals don't want to pay what it's worth. They're still back in the 40s when land was $200 an acre or less. I have it listed at $274,000...somebody from NJ called me and offered me $100,000 for it. I guess she thought I'm a dumb hick in TN going to give it away. So if a developer walks in and offers me close to what I'm asking, he's got it. Sorry, people, but I can't afford to "donate" it and I don't have kids who want it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Ridge Farm

• ceresone
    18 years ago

And, then theres your side,Muppy215, i feel so sorry for you, i know you will hate to leave the tranquility. we're getting older, in failing health too, but are fortunate enough to have children close.you might try listing on e-bay, not everyone wants to break land up into subdivisions.best of luck to you.

• susie53_gw
    18 years ago

Gosh, after reading all of this I feel real lucky that I live where I do.. We live out in the country in Central Indiana. Whe have 10 acreas and our house is kinda in the middle of the property. Nice this way so no one can build close to us.. We have lived her 34 years...

I know what you mean when you talk about the new housing additions going up everywhere. I can't imagine opening my window and be able to shake my neighbors hand.. This is not living in the country to me.. And for my house to look just like my neighbors.. can't imagine.. I do realize that life has changed alot over the years but I think I will stay where I am..

I enjoy the country....

Susie

• cleopatra401
    18 years ago

I thought I was the only person in the world that felt this way about all these god %#*@(% subdivisions popping up all over what used to be the most beautiful pieces of farm land. Everytime I see another piece of land being cleared for a housing development, or a strip mall, I literally get sick to my stomach and feel another small piece of me die. I feel a little better to know that I'm not alone in my feelings. I must also say that it sickens me to see these city slickers moving out to the country, buying up several acres, putting up a gargantuan house, cutting down all the existing plants to create a huge fake looking landscape, and then never actually getting outside to enjoy the country. And when they do go outside, they gripe at the slightest smell of farm. I completely agree with the other's comments in this forum that city folk are such frail lil flowers, and so on. They hit it dead on. how pathetic.
    I currently live in a subdivision which is only a few years old. (we won the house in a contest, otherwise we would never have moved there.) We've been there for 4 months and i still don't feel like I'm "home". I will never feel at home in this place. I felt more at home in the apartment we had before this house. The neighborhood feels so "sterile". There are no trees more than 4 feet tall, and all of the houses and landscaping is so cookie cutter I could puke!

Fortunately, this was a free house, and my fiance and I are going to use it as a financial springboard to get the money we need to move into the country where we will not try to change the land to fit us, but instead we will thoroughly enjoy the sounds of the tractors, the smell of manure, the lush foliage, the serene quiet and everything else that comes with being "home".

I wish I had a magic wand that I could use to get rid of all the strip malls, the subdivisions, and the frail lil flowers coming from the urban areas to pollute our beloved countrysides....if only.

• ceresone
    18 years ago

Just reading this brings a thought to mind---isnt it strange--what smells bad to one is cologne to us!1 lol-- cow manure--means more plants in the garden next year--and-since i love horses, the smell of them is never bad. but! cats, i think stink, while cat-lovers will argue.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES