SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlem_gw

lost all my peaches...why?

JLem
10 years ago

I have a 5-yr old peach tree that seems healthy - it is growing well and has nice green foliage. Last year it only set approximately 6 fruits, all of which shriveled up and dropped off by the time they were only the size of a marble. I assumed it was a nutrient deficiency, so this year, in the Spring I fed the tree with some 10-10-10 organic fertilizer. To my complete shock and delighted amazement, the tree must have set 500 fruits. I thinned them down considerably...I probably removed 2/3s of the crop (which was very tough..."emotionally"...to do). I figured this year I would finally have some ripe peaches! But alas, not a single fruit stayed on the tree - by the time they had reached the diameter of 50-cent piece, they would drop off. A step forward from last year I suppose, but the same result...no peaches :(

Any ideas why? Should I have given the tree another feeding? If so, when? What else can I do for next year? (BTW, I prune the tree extensively in the late winter every year). Thanks.

Comments (12)