SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Collecting Seed

I've found collecting and managing a seed supply a little overwhelming in the past. Just seems like I barely get everything I need to do in the garden done and the seed collecting once you get past a half a dozen or so, starts to feel like another big job. Maybe it's just me. lol

But, this year, without even trying to or planning it, I've ended up collecting about a half a dozen or so, different types. I actually do find it an interesting activity and I love the seeds and how different they all are. The thriftiness of it is also another benefit that appeals to me.

I think where it starts to be a chore, is planning ahead first of all, then cleaning the seed, packaging and labeling, and keep a record of what I have etc. Oh -- and the idea of choosing the best plant to collect from in order to improve the genetics every year, just adds another layer of effort on there too.

So, I thought, there has to be a lot of growers here, who collect their own seed. Just thought you might share, whether you find it a chore and if you have figured out a way to make it less of a chore. Also I'd love to hear if you really have found it saves you money or improves the health and productivity of the plants you've saved seed from.

I'd also love to hear what you successfully saved seed from this year. I only have a few easy ones, Spaghetti Squash, Cilantro, Dill, Parsley and Onion and a few flowers. Some of the Dill, Cilantro, Parsley and Bok Choy dropped in the bed and germinated already.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES