SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

sweet potato treatment and what to eat

This is my first year planting sweet potatoes. My small backyard patch ( only sunny spot left) against the chain link fence was approximately 4ft wide by 12 feet or so.

Had frost Saturday and Sunday. I got out there and garden hosed sprayed off frost . But not early enough. still had some blackened leaves. So started digging them yesterday and today. The ground wasn't as dry as I would have liked. It was discouraging. I kept breaking them off accidentally. I did trim vines first. But did not trim as well as I should have so I could tell exactly where each plant originated. I had planted I believe 12 or 13 slips.

I did add some sand to my great dirt when planted. Put I didnt furrow and hill as well as I read about.

Im Planning on doing those container type like engineeredgarden's video. I assume those containers are upside down and bottom cut out???. and with softer easy to work hands thru soil medium. Next year.

I assume he had a nice Mel type mix. cause he was using his hands.

Now can I eat the roots between the potatoes?. They look just like the potatoes but slimmer and with root "hairs".

I left them overnight the first half in garage last night.

I rinsed off all of them some before dark. But not all the "mud" came off

I dont know how to keep them warm as suggested. Since I dont have on the furnace. Not really cold enough to light the furnace. Nor is it really cold enough to light a fire.

Prob in low fifties degrees tonight. put them back in garage.

so will all the broken ones be edible???

I learned my lesson , next years sweet potatoes

in container. yep.

I may post pic ot them

Thanks

Jean

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting