SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Will Sticky Traps?

birdsnblooms
17 years ago

Will the yellow sticky traps we buy to capture rodents and plant bugs attract spiders and earwigs?

I'm bringing plants indoors now and I swear, for each plant at least one thick-legged, ugly spider comes running out..I wish I didn't fear them because I don't like killing, but I've no other options. I don't want spiders and earwigs all over my house..

If anyone knows about the sticky traps, please let me know which would work..Thanks, Toni

Comments (33)

• joy4me
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Toni:

I have tried only the sticky tape for flies. I can't say I have seen any spider on them as they have to hang an not touch any surrounding surfaces. They do help with other flying insects. Sorry, I haven't had any experience with the rodent tapes, but think they would work if they could be laid flat On or near plants. Maybe someone else with experience with the tapes will chime in.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joy, I'm wondering if there are different odors per trap? Or is it all the same stuff? Next time I'm in HD I'm going to read ingrdients..As far as I know, it's only supposed to be glue that lures them. And the color, yellow, is supposed to attract and snare them. Now I'm wondering.
    The traps I got at GardensAlive.com worked great when my plants had a terrible white-fly infestation. They worked fanstacially. But again, I don't know if the glue works for all pests. Maybe someone else knows..Thanks Toni

• Related Discussions

Anyone used yellow and blue sticky traps before?

Q

Comments (4)
    As said above, sticky traps are more intended as a monitoring tool for commercial growers, particularly for glass-house/high tunnel growing. I've only used them in a glasshouse so I don't know about the effect of rain. In all honesty, I find it's more accurate and just as easy to have a look at the plants regularly. You can still pick up problems early if you're observant, and you won't get stressed out by false positives - by that I mean that just because an insect species is on your sticky trap doesn't mean it's going to be a problem in your garden, especially if you have some diversity in your garden and encourage beneficials. If you're gardening on a very large scale, of course that's a bit different. Sticky traps might be just the thing for you. But remember, you still need to be able to identify the insects on them, otherwise you're none the wiser whether they're good, bad or benign, and you won't know what control measures to apply. So you'll need to invest in a good magnifying instrument and a good book on pest insect identification with a key that you can use easily.
    ...See More

Where can I order yellow sticky traps and mosquite dunks

Q

Comments (7)
    plantladyco - thanks for the name. I was just on their website and only found the fly traps i didn't see the mosquito dunks. I'm trying to avoid paying 2 shipping charges at different suppliers. any other ideas?
    ...See More

Sticky traps catching wrong insects

Q

Comments (7)
    yep that's what happens a non specific bug controller, we had a bug trap for mossies that uses oil in a tray works wll but on inspection caught every other non annoying bug but mossies. used to use those blue light zappers same thing killed heaps of mossies very few flies but lots of other insects as well. we used sticky boards for tropical fruit fly again every other bug but the TFF. we net our susseptable fruits now old mossy nets or similar curtain material works well. len Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page
    ...See More

sticky traps and beneficials

Q

Comments (1)
    my experience last year: i will not use yellow sticky traps again. i caught more beneficial hoverflies than i did whiteflies. good call and thinking ahead! i wish i did. i don't know about the white.
    ...See More
  • noinwi
    17 years ago

Toni, those big brown spiders tend to hang out under the ridges of the pots and in the indentations on the bottom of the pots. Could you tip the pots sideways and give them a good hard spray with water, or use a long handled brush to run around under the rim? If they have a nest in the soil you'll be able to see a web funnel and you can chase them out by lifting the web out on a stick. Those big'uns are the girls, by the way, and you know how hard it is to get some of us girls out of our nests!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Noinwi, the spiders I've been seeing are black..yuckkeee..they have thick legs, and are fast runners..If only they'd run out of plants, outside, all would be well..and to think my hand is so close to them when carrying the plant inside!!! I really wish I didn't fear spiders and could bring them outside w/my hand, but that's not about to happen..I used to fear bees, but am no longer afraid of them..but they're not as creepy as spiders. I do like ladybugs, and when I find a spider webb in my house w/a dead ladybug in the web it makes me angry. I know spiders have to eat, but I don't want to see it. Poor ladybugs.
    Maybe your stick idea is good..I can try scooting the spiders out of plants while outdoors..this way they'll run in the grass and I don't have to murder them..Toni

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Toni,
    I know how you feel. I grew up terrified of spiders...all spiders. I don't know when I started to tolerate them. I mean, I'll still panic if I see one run across the floor, but I don't scream and cry like I did when I was younger. I'll now try to catch them in a jar and take them outside. I still cringe whenever I see a nature show on them. And the black ones you're describing do not sound pleasant. The brown ones I've been seeing here remind me of mini tarantulas(shudder). I think they are wolf spiders, but I'm not sure.
    On the other hand, I don't feel the way I used to about ladybugs, lol. I was always fond of them until we moved to this area into an old farmhouse. The first fall we were invaded by thousands of LB's! They were dropping onto our dinner plates(and eating the food!), they were biting us during the night, and oh, the lovely smell if you accidently squished one on your pillow. It was so gross! I had to wage war eventually. When I found out they were not native LB's I didn't feel so bad about vacuuming them up.
    Anyway, just be careful when bringing in your plants...wear gloves when you do battle so you are not bitten. Good luck!

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

Spiders are very icky and can be frightening. I saw one on my ceiling tonight, apparently sleeping. It was a small light brown one. I assume it came in on one of the many pots I recenty brought inside. The little sucker has since disappeared to parts unknown. Uh oh!! LOL

GH

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Noinwi, I think the brown spiders are called wood spiders, but there's zillions of spiders which are alledged harmless, but still the thought of a spider crawling on me makes my hair stand on end..
    Oh God, if I saw a spider that looked like a tarantuala I'd panic for sure..and ppl keep these guys as pets!!
    Wow, where did you get all those LB's from? LOL..And they bit you when you were sleeping? And crawling on your ceiling falling in your meals? Bet you didn't have any plant bugs while these guys were living in your house..LOL..
    We fear things because of our parents..my mother used to scream when a spider entered our house..it could be a teeny=weeny spider and she'd panic..my father had to kill it. I'm sure this is how I acquried my fear.
    If anyone ever saw the STeven King short-story movie, Creepshow, you'll remember thousands of roaches in the movie which was disgusting..I can just imagine a room full of spiders or even roaches..oh God..
    Noinwi, did you ever rid all those LB's? I wonder how they landed in your house..that's odd..One winter we had a bunch, but most stayed in my plant rooms..it didnt' bother me at all until the media started talking about one type of LB that bit. I didn't know which was which..Does anyone remember this story?

GH, Oh my goodness..now you have to worry about where you'll find this spider..(S) I wish you luck..What will you do when you find it?

My friend was bit by a Recluse spider a couple summers ago..her hand looked like someone squished out a cigar on the skin. She had to take 3 different antibiotics.
    Then someone sent me an email of a man who was bit by these recluse spiders..I think I still have the letter if anyone's interested..It's sickening. Toni

• joy4me
    17 years ago

Toni, I think you're right about getting a lot of our fears from our parents. My Mom was very casual about spiders and would not kill them. So they don't bother me. BUT....You had to mention that bug that starts w/R and now I can hardly type!! We grew up with them in the City and they are a phobia with me. My hair is standing on end and my scalp is itching and I have goose flesh just at the mention of them. oowwwww!!! I guess we all have something that really gets to us.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I've been bitten by a brown recluse and suffered no more than a large painful and itchy bump and very small necrotic area that disappeared on its own after a couple of weeks. According to the doctor, my reaction is the norm. I did not take any anti-biotics or have any kind of medical treatment at all, other than the original visit.

Sheesh, Toni! No WONDER you're a bug-iphobe!!!! You're supposed to avoid imagining things like that instead of playing them over and over in your head! lolololol

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joy, if you fear the R bug, then don't watch the Steven King movie, Creepshow..LOL..I forget how many thousands of R's they really used to make that movie..You wouldn't believe it..

Rhizo, get I've got spiders on the brain right now..as you know I've been bringing plants in the last couple wks, and each time I hose them down, at least one, big, black, thick-legged spider comes crawling out..I close my eyes and see those damn things running in my sink..Sorry, can't get them out of my head..lol..

• jeannems
    16 years ago

I placed some of those commercial yellow sticky traps all around my yard a couple days ago to solve what I believe is a white fly problem from everything I've read. Today I noticed the trap fluttering around. I discovered a small bird caught in the trap struggling to free itself. My husband used a shovel to remove it and it flew away. It left a few feathers on the tape. I threw the tapes away. I have millions of whiteflies, and what was on six tapes when I threw them away was altogether only a couple dozen of them, a few wasps and flies and almost a dead baby bird!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Jean, that's awful..My God a bird!!
    Jean, I never use them outdoors...only in the house. Too many chances of disaster as you discovered.
    To be honest I don't know what a person does for outdoor whitefly..except spray poinsons which I refuse doing. I'm happy your husband got the bird off the trap..that could have been a worse situation than it was.
    Gives me something to think about though since I have birds here in the house..Toni

• roofwarrior
    15 years ago

Toni,

I have found that not every sticky bug trap works for every insect. So for spiders, you should look for a sticky glue spider trap with the bait built into the glue. There are a couple brands to choose from. The one I prefer has been made by Catchmaster in NYC since the 1950s.
    The trouble with spiders is they don't have a wide range. I mean, if they came in with the plant, they'll probably stay nearby.
    What I found is most effective is having more spider traps, rather than huge spider traps. By having more traps, the odds of catching the spider will increase.
    On the topic of EarWigs, I don't have any experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Traps

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Roofwarrior,
    Thanks for the site..Is it my imagination or are common house spiders growing larger? LOL
    This year for some reason, I'm finding more spiders in and outside..House Plants outdoors, are web packed. It's going to be fun lugging plants indoors come fall.
    The Earwigs are getting bad, too. They're everywhere. I found one in a plant today, a plant indoors, that hasn't been outdoors since the first year it was given to me.
    I'm going to order the traps and see if they do the job. Thanks again, Toni

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Personally, I am very against sticky traps. There are extremely inhumane, so I never used one. That said, I have no idea.

As far as eliminating insects other than through sticky traps, if you want to kill them I would suggest trying an organic spray. Safer brand makes organic insect sprays that are okay to use outdoors and indoors. The spray is citrus scented, so I tolerate it much more than typical chemical-laden brands. You can find Safer at Home Depot. I've always had success with Safer sprays.

Sarah

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

I wonder if it is the color that is attracting the insect?. I've I've the yellow insect sticky sheets and they are colored jello to attract insects. I do this a specially to find out whether I have fungus gnats or thrips. Just a thought.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Larry, the traps are white in the picture. Yellow attracts flying/leaping house plant insects..(not all, but many) I once bought the glue they use in yellow sticky traps, (Tanglefoot) meant to paste on cardboard/paper. By then, all whitefly were gone from the previous traps purchased. Thank God. They are one bad bug!
    Wonder where traps should be placed? In dark areas?

Sarah, even though Safer is supposed to be safe, I fear using it..we have birds. Birds are very sensitive so obviously certain sprays/powders can't be applied.
    Sarah, believe me, I don't like the idea of killing anything, including spiders..if one is walking around outdoors, it stays there..I won't kill an outside bug. Being in the house is a different story. Mice, ear wigs, or spiders gotta go..(I am terrified of spiders.) If a ladybug/butterfly/lightening bug gets in, I gently lift and take outdoors..We do not hunt or fish, and we're eating less and less meat/poultry. I do NOT have a fur coat. LOL
    Spiders are odd creatures..did you ever see the results of a person bitten by a Recluse Spider? I have a pic if you're interested, not a pretty sight. Toni

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Toni, do you allow your birds to fly around freely? I have two cats, and I'm the same way. I did however have an ant infestation in my kitchen and I used Safer under the appliances where I knew the cats couldn't get to. Basically, I find it "safe" to use in cracks, crevices, and under appliances.

Perhaps try looking up vegan ways to treat pests. I have no idea if spiders dislike certain scents, but ant certainly do not like vinegar and cinnamon. Another trick I used for getting rid of the ants. Perhaps something along the same lines would work for spiders.

Good luck! Let us know what works.

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sarah..Yes, the birds fly..(I don't believe in keeping birds caged 24/7)
    Normally they stay in the same room I do..the DR, well, it's now a bird room..LOL..The DR is the warmest room in the house. (winter) This spring, they started flying in the kitchen, looking out the window..Today I caught my male, (Mystic, a white-faced Pied cockatiel) in the LR sitting atop a shelf..eating Pothos!! I wasn't worried about the plant so much, (since Pothos grow like weeds) but Mystic is my curious, little man. He's 10 yrs old, and don't tell the others, favorite..LOL..He lives in a cage with his spouse, Baby; in a second cage live their children, daughter, Moonbeam, and son, Sparkle.
    Sparkle eats anything he finds. That's a big problem. He'd find a dot on the floor if looking..LOL.
    I may have to clip their wings again, though they dislike it..but better than them flying outdoors or getting in trouble.

Cats are great..I truly miss having a feline around. We had a cat, Halloween, who passed away, a couple years ago, a few days after his 17th birthday. Even though he was great with the birds, they were caged when we went out. You never know what a cat will do. Hunting is their instinct, as you well know.
    What color are your cats? What type? Cats are curious by nature. So, if you set out a trap, poison, etc, it's always on the back of your mind our loved ones may find and nibble. Some poisons are appealing to pets.
    We also have two dogs, a Mastiff (Sam) and a Shih tzu (Coco)..the Shih was abused as a pup, so we adopted him. He also gets into everything, including plants..oh boy.
    Not that it matters, I make my own plant insecticides. Nothing harmful to pets.
    Sarah, the thing is, birds are way more sensitive to odors than cats or dogs..Daily happenings like an over-heated/burning non-stick pan can kill a bird (we do NOT use non-stick pots and pans.) Oven cleaner, furnture polish, and so many other products can do damage.

I'll research Safer..do you know if it's an oil?

You've given me an idea about cinnamon and vinagar. Seeking natural ways to keep bugs out is peaks my interest. The closest thing to a chemical added in my insectcide is dish soap, Dawn is out.

Thanks for the Vin/Cin idea..Do you mix the two ingredients? If so, what portions? Do you spray ants directly? Does it kill them on the spot or take time? I don't like to see anything suffer, you know?
    Spiders and Pedes are pretty hardy. I can't figure what to use to rid them..there's an ad on Tv, the product called Rid-Ex..you plug it in and it's supposed to keep bugs/rodents away. The problem is I don't know how it works..do you? Does a piercing sound emit, a pitch humans cannot detect, something that would bother the dogs and/or birds?

The worse is autumn when plants come indoors..I now wear garden gloves, and slowly reach for a plant..they're then hosed to make sure huge, hairy spiders and Ear Wigs don't follow with my hand being so near. (it's happened before.) I also foliar spray Fish Emulsion and a few other ingredients to keep scale and mites away..Unfortunately, this concoction doesn't rid spiders..it does kill/keep away mites/scale and a few other bugs though. Can't find a solution ridding mealy..they're the worse bugs.

There has to be something that rids spiders. I wish I didn't fear them, but it's something that can't be controlled.

I'll research to see if I can find an oranic way to rid spiders/pedes.

Yellow sticky traps are great for some plant bugs..

Larry, if you're reading this, and used the spider traps, will you let me know how they work? Please. Yuck..just the thought gives me goose bumps..LOL.

It's going to storm..good..hope we have a nice, old-fashioned T=storm storm. Plants outdoors love rain.
    Thanks for everything, Toni

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Hey Toni! I love hearing about your birds. What kind of birds are they? As far as my cats, they are both female and one is a calico (Ug) and the other (Nerd) is greyish with darker stripes. Although, Nerd (grey cat)"highlighting" her hair as I tell her, b/c she has some light brown hair growing in. And yes, I know they have strange names! Hahaha. I didn't name them.

Another idea I thought of for you, regarding bringing plants indoors is to treat outside. I generally don't like killing outside insects either, but like you I'm always afraid of what might be lurking in the pot before I bring them in. In that case, I usually treat the ground around the pots a week or so before I bring them in with Safer. I also try to hose off any webs I find on them throughout the summer.

I'm not certain how oil based safer is; I do know it has "fatty acids." The natural route is always a good option too. At least for ants, I found vinegar and cinnamon worked wonders. In fact, my boyfriend pulled out our dishwasher, sprayed with some chemical insecticide and put ant traps down (placed where the cats wouldn't go). None of those worked. After I "cinnamon bombed" the kitchen and put out cotton soaked in vinegar, the ants left.

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy Sarah,
    Please tell me how you apply Vinager and Cinnamon? You mentioned cotton..do you make a batch, soak cotton, then set around the house? Do you find this combo works for plants, too?
    How much of each do you use? Do you use powdered or whole Cinnamon? Do you add water or use dry? Please explain.
    Ants shouldn't bother plants, BUT if a plant has Scale, ants are attracted to honeydew from the scale bug. Ants find a scale-infested plant a perfect living space.

We have cockatiels. 4. They are the perfect bird, if you ever consider adopting one. But I don't recommend getting a bird with cats. Cats are natural hunters, and a simple scratch can kill a bird.
    You cats sound beautiful. Do you have pix? Calicos are so pretty, and tiger striped, (sounds like Nerd'd description) are gorgeous.
    Years ago, I had a Siamese (Simon)..don't know if he was pure bred but that wasn't important..He had the markings of Seal Point and big, blue eyes..and so affectionate.
    So you have 4 cats in all? Do they get along? Do they all bother plants? LOL..I'm starting to think there is no such thing as a pet that doesn't like plants..
    When we got Coco last winter, he dug/ate succulents in bowls. So many..Our son has an iguana who loves greens. When birds fly in other rooms they land on plants, and nibble. Some plants are toxic, like Euphorbias, but because they're thorny, birds steer clear.
    Ironically, birds eat hot peppers..My birds don't care for the taste, but larger birds crave them. In fact, packaged bird seed includes hot peppers. So, the Cayenne idea won't work for me..but this winter when plants come inside, I may sprinkle it so Coco stays away.

Well, your cats names are different..LOL. Did they recognize their names before you adopted them? If not, perhaps you could have changed them, but on the other hand, it's unlikly they know what a nerd is..LOL. Did you say the Calico's name is Ug? LOLOL..Poor kitty.
    If you have pictures, please post.

Actually Sarah, before plants come inside, they are hosed outdoors AND inside..there's been times when even after a thorough hosing outside, carrying in the house, setting in the sink, and rehosing, either a thick-legged spider ran out..Oh Dear Lord..Yuck. Also, are you familiar with Ear Wigs? They hang in groups..there were times while hosing plants, 30+ EW's came running out..they are disgusting creatures.
    Spiders and EW's find hiding places, so when a plant is hosed it doesnt bother them. For a while, we had 3 wks of almost non-stop rain. I don't know if that's the reason but there are spider webs covering large groups of my plants. For some reason, full-forced water doesn't remove webbs. Wish I had a suit of armor, lol, this way I could reach each plant, clean and bring inside, without worrying a spider will crawl on my arm..LOL..

Ok, after rereading your post, you soak vin/cin using cotton. Where do the ants go? Do you get red ants? Fire ants? They're supposed to be terrible. They bite, from what I've been told..Every so often we see red ants, but I don't think they're fire ants,, but not sure and don't want to find out..

Speaking of birds, they're still in their cages and want out..the problem is, we had windows installed and all plants in that room were put outdoors..plants that normally don't go out. I have to decide whether or not they're coming in today or keep out till autumn. Plants like Calathea, Philodenrons, that could burn, though they're on the side of the house, out of sun. They've been out since Sunday..wonder if spiders found these plants to their liking??? LOL

There has to be something that keeps spiders away..The traps can't be placed outside so that won't work..We'll find something..Toni

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Toni,

Yellow sticky traps will not attract spiders, I'm afraid, and those "spider traps" are almost certain to be just as, er, effective.

I understand the power of fears, but it can't hurt to be familiar with the true "risks" presented by spiders. Brown recluses, for example, are pretty timid spiders, and most bites are as severe as rhizo's (or milder); the occasional horrific reaction is quite atypical (so don't let that one be your guide!). And people often live in homes with, quite literally, thousands of brown recluses without ever getting bitten or even being aware that there are any in their home.

And they're the bad ones! Anyways, it may not help your fear of spiders, but at least be assured that unless you're a bug or another spider that spider isn't actually going to hurt you.

By the way, in our house we have a few strategically located "spider catchers," which we use to catch and remove to the outdoors any wandering spiders:

{{gwi:103882}}

They're just those 35mm slide boxes (we use black); put the bottom on one side of the spider, the top on the other, and use the top to guide the spider into the bottom, slap the top on, take it outside, remove top, shake out spider. No fuss, no muss, no close contact.

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Hey Toni! Yeah, somehow bugs always have this power of freaking us out when we least expect it. I have a cricket phobia, which most people find insane! Haha.

The vinegar I soaked in cotton squares and then placed the cotton in bowls. The bowls were placed on countertops. The cinnamon was a mixture of essential oil and powdered cinnamon, placed in small bowls. I also used some cinnamon air freshner. I think the ants were orignially sneaking in my house through pipes that lead into the kitchen. Once the vinegar and cinnamon were placed throughout, I think the ants went back outside. I did see a great amount of ants outside the following week, and sprayed Safer around the door and in cracks. They were tiny black ants, not red/fire ants.

My cousin has always had cockatiels. I'm pretty familiar with them.

My boyfriend gave the cats their names, once they were adopted. Nerd's formal name is actually Luna, but we call her Nerd. Ug was actually a stray we took in, when she was about 1 (she is now about 8).

Nerd:
    {{gwi:103925}}
    Ug:
    {{gwi:103926}}

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Clib..I know spiders won't, happily walk in a yellow sticky trap to check out the view..LOL.
    Roofwarrior posted a site that sells Spider Traps. I don't know if they work, or how they work. I really don't like the idea of 'glueing' a spider, but I suffer from arachnophobia. Even an itsy-bitsy arachnid raises the hair on my head..(S) Like the Bride of Frankenstein. LOL Anyway, I was waiting to hear from Roofwarrior to see if the traps really work.

Actually, I know two people who were bitten by Recluse Spiders. A friend went on a picnic and got bit..she was on a fifth antibiotic before the infection cleared up.
    My brother is a policeman. His partner was bitten by a Recluse 2 wks ago. Last I heard, he just started a second or third antibiotic..
    Someone sent an email of a man bitten by a Recluse; it's gross..Of course, the pic could have been doctored, but if not, getting bit is something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. It looks like his bone is showing.

Oh Clib please don't tell me there are Recluse Spiders in my house..I can't ID one spider from the next, (other than Daddy Long legs.)

Do the Slide Boxes work? Do you set something in the box that attracts spiders to move in? Is that the reason you buy black? Because it's dark. That makes sense.
    Where do you find these boxes? Have you actually caught a spider? You see, I want something that will litrally attract spiders. Do you know what I mean? Please let me know if the boxes work..and what you do to catch them.

Clib, obviously, most spiders, especially in IL are harmless. So, it's not so much the fear of being bitten by a poisonous spider, they give me the creeps..LOL

Finding a spider in the house is one thing, but my problem is hauling plants in the house come fall..Spiders seem to think house plants are comfy-cozy homes. They build webbs everywhere. I'm afraid if I lift a plant, a big, hairy, thick-legged spider will jump on my hand.
    So, if anyone knows a way to rid spiders from plants, please let me in on your secret. Every year when plants are hauled indoors, either spiders or earwigs attach. Last autumn wasn't too bad, only one spider, but quite a few earwigs.
    BTW, fearing earwigs is the same as fearing spiders..the myth of their name (myth for sure) isn't what frightens me. They do not crawl in someone's ear, then eat their brains..LOL. Why that name was given is beyond me, but probably long ago, someone said their mothers, friends, aunt's, gradmas ex-husband, went insane because an earwig crawled in his ear. LOL. To me, they look like outdoor roaches. YUCK. They're particularly fond of long-leaf plants like Yucca, Dracaenas and Agaves. They move in the urn part, make a home and breed. Wonder what they eat. Plants?
    Anyway, thanks for the box info, Clib..When you get a chance, let me know if they catch spiders..Thanks, Toni

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Oh by the way Toni, I don't know what an earwig is. I don't know if I want to either! Hahaha.

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sarah, go to www.wikipedia.com type earwig in the search box.,..there's pics.
    Remember I said I call them outdoor cockroaches, well, wiki states, some people get them confused with roaches..
    They live in dark, humid crevices, and eat plants.
    They have pinchers, but don't pinch or bite. Probably decorations..LOL. Toni

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Toni,

Yeah, I checked out that site. Any spiders those things catch are likely to just be passing by, they're not going to be drawn to them. I may have accidentally misled you about our "spider boxes." They're just plain old slide boxes that you herd a wandering spider into; nothing high-tech or otherwise special about them. Let me repeat the sentence that I hid below the photo: They're just those 35mm slide boxes (we use black); put the bottom on one side of the spider, the top on the other, and use the top to guide the spider into the bottom, slap the top on, take it outside, remove top, shake out spider. No fuss, no muss, no close contact. I don't know that you can attract spiders other than by providing a desirable environment for them, I'm afraid.

I'm a little confused about the brown recluse/antibiotic/infection connection; there's no infectious agent involved, although antibiotics can be prescribed to prevent secondary bacterial skin infections. Entomologists are also becoming increasingly suspicious that many "brown recluse bites" are actually not. Anyways, my point was that even the worst spiders out there pose a very small risk, and was suggesting that it's doing you more harm than good dwelling on that extreme picture.

Earwigs are peculiar insects. I've personally never tried to get rid of them, but the Wikipedia entry on them suggests the following, which seem reasonable:

"Since they prefer cool, moist places, a rolled up damp newspaper placed where earwig activity is suspected can be effective in collecting them. The newspaper can then either be discarded or shaken out. Placing diatomaceous earth in key spots around the home (bathroom, baseboards, window frames) can be a long-term repellent."

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Eww Toni. I think I just vomitted in my mouth a bit! Haha. I do find there name bizarre, to me it sounds as if it should be something from the revolutionary times.

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Clib...I know what you meant about the boxes, but wondered if by chance you set something, say something edible, that lure spiders to enter.
    There's one corner window in the front that, no matter how often was wiped, (hidden) spider/s built webbs.
    (Monday, front windows were replaced.) The old screen didn't fit properly, allowing bugs to enter. Of course, flying bugs, like lightening bugs, brown, round beetles, etc, were some that got in. I have found a good number of dead insects, sucked dry/lodged in webbs, in the front corner window. Spiders are something else!! I understand there's no spider store, like Spiders-R-Us, they have to eat, but I don't like finding corpses of poor little lightening bugs. Nope, don't like those creatures.
    I wonder if Praying Mantis eat spiders..See how those 8 legged squiggly things like being stalked and devoured.
    If Praying Mantis work, I'll order eggs, raise and set them free in the house, especially the basement..

Klib, I have no idea why they were prescribed antibiotics. I assumed they had an infection from the bite? My friend, Cindy had taken 5 types before the infection? was gone. She had a fever too, so maybe that's the reason for the meds? Cindy said the bite looked like a cigar was placed on her skin, left to burn.
    Then again, why do doctors do anything they do? LOL
    What do you mean, "Entomolgists are becoming suspicious...etc?" Suspicious of what? That the Recluse isn't the spider biting? Please explain.
    LOL Klib..It's not like Earwigs group in one place..Oh No. They seek and find dark places..under plant pots, bird feeders, a stray container. There are numerous places out back where EW's reside..When I lift a plant pot, a good number run out, looking for safety.
    Every so often I see EW's out front, but nowhere as many as the yard.. My guess is, we have a huge, old tree out back..the tree shades most of the yard.. The front is treeless, much brighter. If there's one thing EW's don't like, it's sun.
    Anyway, I don't know what to do about the Spider Traps. If they're useless, I'd rather not spend the money. Perhaps there are reviews somewhere on the net. I'll have to research. Thanks for the suggestions..

Sarah, sounds like you enjoyed Wiki's picture and article about EW's..LOL..NOT!
    They are gross, right? I don't know an EW's life span, but as I said above, they hide in plant soil..so in mid-winter, (not often, but at times) I'd spot an earwig in a pot, or out in the open hunting for a new home. Wonder if they eat plant roots? I have dropped plants while holding, after spotting a bug atop soil, by jerking back, or Instinct, letting go..splatter, soil and shards everywhere.
    EW's are common here..in fact, there was a newspaper article regarding EW's, and an explanation how the myth was untrue. Many people have their homes exterminated in autumn, something we can't do. Not only because of pets, but I dont want to breath bug sprays. I don't care if it's Citrus scent or not. Under that hidden fragrant smell, lie chemicals. Chemicals not meant to breath.
    You think that picture is bad? You should see when two are stuck together..Oh it IS sick, would make anyone vomit..LOL I don't know if it's a mutant or two mating. But it looks like a mutant. Toni

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Toni,

Spiders only eat live prey, and the active ones (the only ones that are likely to end up in a trap like this) find them by sight (movement), not by smell. That's why I don't think you can really bait spiders like you do roaches. Praying mantises will indeed eat spiders, which will indeed eat praying mantises!

So it seems that lots of doctors will call something a "brown recluse bite" even in areas where the spiders do not occur, which was the entomologists' first hint that this whole thing may warrant a closer look, including in areas where the spiders are found. Just last week, my wife's wound care dr. gave her a spider for me to ID; he was sure it was a brown recluse (even though they're not known this far south and east), though it was actually a house spider.

Earwigs eat pretty much anything mushy, which on the plus side means they like aphids and on the minus side means they'll eat new plant growth. (By the way, when you see what looks like two stuck together, they're almost certainly "doing the deed." On the other hand, they are one of the few types of non-social insects with parental care. That's got to count for something, right?).

Cheers,

Alan

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Toni, I know how you feel and react to earwigs. Years ago, at my parents' house, I grew pumpkins. One year, crickets decided to live in the garden wear the pumpkins were. I would go out in August, when it was probably about 95 degrees with a heat index of 110 degrees, with long pants tucked into my shoes and long sleeves, just to water the plants and turn the pumpkins. If a cricket were to touch my bare skin, I would have a heart attack on the spot!

Sarah

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy Alan.
    "Spiders eat live prey." Like me? LOL
    Alan, do you handle insects without wearing gloves? Oohhh.
    I had some doubts about baiting spiders..You're right, they're not like roaches..set food inside a trap, and like motels, they won't check out.

Fears are inherited from our parents/guardians. My mother would scream when a spider, well, almost any insect got in the house. She wasn't afraid of lighting bugs, butterfly's, etc, neither am I..she detested moths..bird seed (we have plenty,) attracts moths. Thank goodness, moths don't worry me.

Alan, how many different types of house spiders are there?
    Did you know IL had Black Widows? I had NO idea..In 1994, I worked in a retail plant store. One day, my manager (she knew my love of spiders,) walked in and said, Hey Toni, do you want to see a BW? I thought she was joking..Sure enough, on the side of the building, a BW resided..A co-worker said they lived in his yard..He lives in Chicago!!! I couldn't believe it..So, out of curiosity, I phoned the Chicago Public Library for verification, asked if they'd check, and sure enough, I was informed BW's were documented living in the midwest. And other cold climate states.

I'll never forget this. My grandmother bought a bunch of bananas. As she pulled one off, stuck to the peel was a dead Banana Spider. This happened years ago.

Why did you wife's doctor think the spider was a Recluse? Does he have a phobia? LOL.
    Alan, how on earth do you remember each spider/insect known to man, latin names?
    If this is too personal, you dont have to answer, but I was wondering if you've travelled to places like the Amazon searching for insects. I have to scroll up to see what your occupation is.
    I'd have to ask my friend, Cindy, how she or whomever concluded she was bitten by a Recluse.
    Both people who were bitten happened to be in a country-like atmosphere. She has a summer house about 70 miles southwest of Chicago. The second person who was bitten is a friend/co-worker of my husband.
    I hope your wife is okay, Alan..did you charge your wife's doctor a co-pay for analyzing his spider? LOL

Spiders eat Praying Mantis? You're kidding? I'd imagine a large spider would be capable, but what about small to mid sized? I don't want to harm a Mantis.

Alan, nope, EW's don't amount to much, especially since you mentioned they eat new foliage. No wonder my Croton has newly bitten leaves. The Croton is on a table..one of the spots I mentioned when you lift a pot numerous EW's take off. Do you know if they're nocturnal?
    Thanks for the info..You are a true-blue, knowledgeable insect-person. LOL.

Sarah, if I hadn't scrolled up to search for something Alan wrote, I wouldn't have seen your post..

Well, next time/if, ants find a way in, I know what to do. Thanks so much.
    What happens to the ants when you set out the cotton? Does it kill them or keep them out? I dont know what essential oil is..What is it?

You fear crickets? Really? I love when they sing at night, while lying in bed, but if one hopped on me, I'd probably fall on my, behind..LOL..Between spiders and crickets, I'd rather deal with crickets.
    Are crickets the only insect you fear? What about grasshoppers? Is it their appearance that troubles you, or the fact they hop/jump?
    If it's the hopping, what would you if you saw a Jumping Spider? Sorry, I don't know the Latin names.

Oh Sarah, your cats are sooo pretty..Beautiful in fact. The Calaco, Ugs, (LOL, that name) colors are so pronounced.
    Luna's a nice name..Did you adopt during a full moon? (S)
    I'm happy you found and adopted Ug. What color are her eyes.
    Nerd's huge, green eyes are inviting.
    Are they lap cats? Purr loud?

We had a Catalina Macaw (21 yrs.) His name was Zelda, (talk about names,) he was a surgically sexed male.
    We got Zelda when he was 6 months old, if that. After his 15th year with us, he changed, grew violent. Not a little violent, a lot. He turned against me. Every morning, while I was sleeping, he'd walk in the bedroom and bite. Everyday I'd wake dripping w/blood. One day while walking in the LR, he charged, bit the skin between my toes. To this day, my toes are split. Meaning when I stand, my toes are shaped like a 'V.'
    The conclusion, he 'flew' on my face, held onto my skin..he wouldn't let go. I was spinning around, and still he wouldn't loosen his grip. Their powerful beak ranges 4-5," maybe more..
    That was it. I know a few women in charge of Illinois bird shows/fairs. They adopt unwanted/abused birds. Zelda wasn't abused at all, though when he woke me, I was afraid when half asleep, I'd strike out and hurt him.
    We took him to the vet for a physical before thinking about putting him up for adoption..the vet said he was going through sexual frustration. He was seeking a mate. Since he didn't want me touching anyone, including our son, he attacked me.
    We ended up putting him up for adoption..I was so darn depressed, but there wasn't any other choice.
    A single, lonely man adopted him; the two get along great. I keep tabs on Zelda but not allowed to visit. After 21 years, he might remember who we are, which might cause problems..I understand their rules.
    If anyone asks about adopting a bird larger than a love bird, (unless they live in a warm climate and/or have more than one bird) my advice is to look for a smaller parrot or move to a sub-tropical area.
    Birds need company, attention, and healthy foods..Bird seed isn't adequate. No siree-bob. They need fruit and veggies on a daily basis..they can't be locked in a cage 24/7.
    Around 5 years of age, birds go through sexual maturity. At that time, they need a lot of attention, bond, or else they'll eat your walls, furniture, and rip anything they feel will make appropriate nesting..
    Budgies and Cockatiels are good size. They're smart, learn to whistle an entire song, and even talk.
    Males are vocal, females affectionate.
    Speaking of phobias, there are a good number of people who fear birds..Maybe they'd seen Alfred Hitchcock's, The Birds movie..LOl..

Sarah, do your cats eat/bother your plants? Do they have a favorite? Toni

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Toni, yes I fear grasshoppers too. Mainly the large grasshoppers that turn their heads. Several years ago I was leaving a client's house (many of my clients receive in-home therapy) and there was a giant grasshopper on the roof of my car, just above the driver door. When I walked out of the house, its head turn and it looked at me! I freaked out and froze. Eventually, I got in the car through the passenger side and crawl over the seats. I then sped back to the office, with all the windows up of course, and hoped that the grasshopper was still not sitting on top of the car! Other bugs I tend to deal with okay, but crickets and grasshoppers, no way. I swear grasshoppers use to seek me out when I was little. They would somehow get in my home (parent's home) and hop towards me, whether I was sitting on the couch or somewhere else. One time, I even found one sitting on my bed! I screamed probably as loud as possible.

Poor Zelda. He sounds like a bird Freud would have had a kick out of! Birds and their sexual complexes. ;)

Ug has green eyes. She actually found us. Ug actually found us, or more so my boyfriend. Before I moved in, she came to the house and would stay outside. After a while, she was brought in, and has been here for about 7 years now. She is such a fun cat, though not quite the lap cat. Ug will sit with us sometimes, but she often likes to explore through the house and do crazy acrobats. Luna (aka Nerd), my adopted by my boyfriend's mom when they lived together. When Kai's (b/f) mom moved to another state, Kai and his brother kept her and she has remained here since she was a kitten. She is not a lap cat either, and sometimes has a mood disorder! Hahaha. Of course, her temper has improved, since I took a therapeutic approach to disciplining her. Maybe I should be a pet therapist. ;)

Most of the plants the cats leave alone, however 5 out of 6 of my orchids, and two other houseplants are in my indoor greenhouse (in my LR). I have some tabletop terriaums, so they can't get in those either. In the family room, I have a pothos, but I keep it on the mantle which they never go up on, so I know it shouldn't be a problem. I know cats can get ill from pothos. The only plant that is a problem is what I think is similar to a bamboo palm. I really should post a photo on the forum for ID (the tag on the plant when I bought it said "houseplant" haha). Nerd likes to eat it, even though she vomits it up afterward (once on articles I referencing for an article I have in press now). The plant is in my bedroom, and I've even caught Nerd sneaking in really late at night/early morning trying to eat the plant. The first couple weeks with the plants were bad, b/c Nerd would sneak in and when she was caught, hiss at me as if I was the mean person for not letting her eat it. I've also come home to find the plant knocked over on the floor. So, now the plant has changed location in the room several times.

Oh, and as far as the ants they leave when they smell the vinegar or cinnamon. I'm not sure which worked better. Essential oil is just natural oil from the plant, not synthetic. You can often find it in health food stores or in the organic section of supermarkets.

Sarah