SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charcot_gw

Help with my ficus benjamina please

charcot
12 years ago

I bought a 9-foot ficus tree from eBay which we picked up yesterday - had to lie it on its side for a one-and-a-half hour journey.

It's absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately it can't stand upright on it's own, I'm not sure how the previous owner did it but I suspect it was being supported by the beams on the conservatory ceiling.

We're currently leaning it on a pillar. My other half thinks we should re-pot it in a bigger pot, at an angle so that it stands upright - the previous owner said it hadn't been re-potted for a long time and that was the only thing that was stopping it from getting bigger.

I have been doing a lot of reading up today and now I'm thoroughly confused. I've just learnt that re-potting doesn't mean just putting it in a bigger pot with more soil, but pruning the roots and getting rid of all the old soil. And apparently we don't need a bigger pot.

But it seems that pruning the roots and not giving it a bigger pot has as much to do with restricting the size of the plant as keeping it healthy. I want the tree to grow - we have very high ceilings with windows that let in a lot of light in our flat so the height wouldn't be a problem. I also like the tree to look a bit 'wild' as I'm not fond of the manicured look.

Some people on a few forums say you shouldn't re-pot immediately after a move as one shock is big enough. Our tree hasn't shed leaves yet but it's only been a day since the move.

Should we:

a) re-pot (prune roots, new soil) but put in same pot

b) re-pot and put in slightly bigger pot

And if we should re-pot, should we

d) do it immediately

d) wait for a few weeks so that it acclimatises (we will have to rope it to the pillar in the meantime)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments (3)