SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

Training 3rd leaf Jongold

Michael
14 years ago

Greetings all: Of my 6 2nd leaf apples varieties, this Jonagold isn't behaving as planned this year. It is growing well except the leader is only 2 ft long to date and this years new scaffolds below are rapidly growing and turning upward to nearly the same elevation. I am aware of apical dominance issues but am wondering if they are in play here. Last year the tree put out a 36" leader above that years new scaffolds. I am concerned about this years scaffold ending up too short leading to too little space between next years new scaffold set and this years.

Any thoughts?

All the other 3rd leaf trees are growing much longer leaders (3'+) and are subject to similar environmental and soil conditions with one exception. Being an extremely dry year up to about 2 weeks ago, I unintentionally let the soil dry out to the point that the leaves started to curl upward, oops. As far as the degree of curling severity, the Jonagold had it the worst by far. You may be able to see these still curled leaves in the pic..

{{gwi:120598}}

Comments (2)