SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Help! Question about painting pvc pipe for garden markers!

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

Hi, I am on the landscape committee of the local homeless shelter which is expanding by building a facility for single people (currently only takes families with children). At the same time they are organizing a big volunteer work day to landscape the whole "campus".

The staff would really like to plant a lot of edible perennials, and also want the gardens to be an educational landscape. I am charged with figuring out what to use to mark plants that has a large enough surface to write quite a bit of information on it.

Because its more like a public garden, I don't want a bunch of little tags, but the markers need to be safe and fairly tamper proof. I looked on line at what different botanical gardens use that isn't too expensive and found one that makes their own using pvc pipe for the "stem" kind of like we do with our garden junk. I'll post about everything I've learned and post pictures once my report is complete.

BUT for now, I am going to make some samples to bring to our next meeting and I want to paint the pvc pipe. What should I use that will last through the winter and through the elements? Will my high quality latex house paint last? (Wish they made the pipe in dark green or black!)

TIA

Kathy

Comments (14)