SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Tall Spindle training question

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I posted a little while ago about training methods because I could not remember what the training method I decided upon was called. Anyway, I remember now that it was called Tall Spindle.

I watched a You Tube video made by Dr. Terence Robinson with regard to training apples in the Tall Spindle method. He mentioned that the height of the trees should be 90% of the distance between rows. He also mentioned that the trees could be effectively spaced at 3 feet apart, except for the really vigorous varieties, which should be planted at 4 feet apart.

If my trees are spaced at 5 feet apart and in rows of 7 feet, that means, according to Dr. Robinson, I should have the maximum height of my trees be 6.25 feet tall. I also have 5 feet in between, which may be more than I need if I am successful in this method.

My questions are these:

Will other varieties of fruit do well with this method? I have pears, plums, cherries, apricots, jujubes, pawpaws, a shipova, a mulberry, and a persimmon, which is on order.

Should I leave the 5-foot spacing as it is or should I plant in between?

There is a mature BYO near here that really inspired me when my family was telling me I was crazy for putting 50 trees in our back yard. He has ended up with a tree canopy with large trunks and just the tops of the trees branching out. He is elderly and when I asked to speak with him he said he wasn't feeling well enough.

I have not pruned any of the lower branches from my trees since deciding upon this method. How difficult is it to keep, for instance, peaches, producing new wood lower on the trunk?

Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 rules for pruning tall-spindle apples

Comments (7)