SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Wineberries

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Wineberries

Hi guys. Anyone out there growing wineberries?

All the Google results IÂve come across are about wild thickets of wineberries. Not people who actually purposely grow them.

Invasiveness: IÂve learned that they spread by tiprooting which is easier to control (for me) than spreading via the roots like raspberries do. But, in many cases, these plants are considered invasive. Yet, places like Edible Landscaping are indeed allowed to ship them, and I have heard about 2 patches around here (though I donÂt have access to them to see them firsthand.) I can control the tiprooting, but I canÂt control the birdÂs droppings. Then again, if they did get out of control on my property, it would probably be better than the green briar, poison ivy, and poison oak that is everywhere! Thoughts on this?

Sun/Shade: Supposedly they will fruit in the shade. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they prefer shade, or will they just tolerate it. Would they rather have full sun? Partial shade is actually easier for me to give than full sun.

Trellis: In my conversations with DJOfNelson, his grow erect to 4-5Â and then weep back down. Would this work on my traditional raspberry/blackberry trellises? Space between plants? Would this work like a black raspberry? Or would it be better to let them do their thing and grow them as a 6Â diameter bush?

How many: My two little girls and I pick our raspberries every day, and we could probably eat a quart a day. Though, my 200Â feet of brambles (16 smaller beds, 15 varieties) are timed to spread out the season, so we donÂt usually get that many. Anyone know how the yield of one of these plants would compare to a typical raspberry plant (cane) or a blackberry cane? ItÂs sounding to me like theyÂre somewhere in between? Anyone want to take a stab at how many to plant?

Any other thoughts on this plant?

-Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Wienberries at Edible Landscaping

Comments (3)