SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virakech

I Love My Potting Bench !

virakech
16 years ago

We decided to build a large potting bench, instead of erecting a shed, when we were told that the zoning here only lets you erect a 10 X 10 building, and only after filing for permission, and then passing inspection... sheesh. SOooo, we thought we'd build an open-fronted leanto, but then decided on taking all our scrap wood and other items and building a potting bench big enough to store much of our stuff over winter. It sits facing North behind our garage, and so there isn't much weather that hits it.

We added part of a vinyl roof so I can stand under it and work if rain is pouring down, and I can't tell you how pleasant that it. We put a metal grid on it and hang stuff from that using a bunch of S hooks we got from a consignment shop. I ran a heavy-duty rubber hose along the driveway and garage to the bench, covered it with mulch, and then pulled the hose up the bench where it is easy access, and now I have running water to my little vegetable garden back there.

We'll be putting in a Rain Barrel on the left section (as you look at the picture), and then the bench will be almost done. We've been lovingly working on this and re-developing it for two years now, when we have time.

We pick up stuff from yard sales and auctions and consignment shops to use for this. The vintage sink is a washtub we purchased from a tag sale - they used to be hooked up to a sink and then wifey would get to do all the laundry in the tub. We sawed off the legs, it has a lid, so I have a covered sink in my bench now.

Those eyeballs you see are glow-in-the-dark eyes that act as my scarecrow for my garden, they came off a garden decoration. Just about everything here is left over pieces of something. We've had a ball building and constructing this monster, which is 12 feet tall and I think 10 feet wide, and 4 or 5 feet deep. I'm so happy with it, I just had to share.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:137763}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus