SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottk2007

First Timer--Growing Blackberries

ottk2007
10 years ago

Let me just say up front that I have little to no knowledge about gardening and am currently kind of feeling my way around and trying to read a lot. I know there are LOTS of experts here, so I thought it might be better (and quicker) to ask the experts...you!

I love blackberries and don't buy them due to the cost, so I thought I would grow my own. I brought two small blackberry plants home from a garden center and transplanted them in my raised bed. They both got a few blackberries and then actually started looking a little "wilty". I babied them a little bit and now they look very good. The leaves are very green and hearty looking. Yeah!! When I bought the plants, they were described as thornless bushes, but as you can see from the pictures, they are growing like vines with branches shooting out everywhere--seemingly straight out from the main plant. Is this normal? Should I cage them? Stake them? Trellis them? I did not think a bush was supposed to grow like a vine. But, then again, what do I know...nothing. :-)

Thank you for your help!
P.S. I live outside of Tampa, Florida.

Karen

Comments (14)