SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

after 6 yrs, disappointed with trees. need advice

johndoug
10 years ago

hi. i've got trees in both my yard, and my dad's yard (who lives 2 hours away from me). i have 30 or so, he has 15, all planted 6 years ago - from grafted mail order. apples, asian pears, sweet/sour cherry, peach, nectarine, asian plum, euro plum.

my dad is about out of patience, and i'm close behind. the only crops not seeming to have massive disease are asian pears. all of the stone fruits get brown rot and have varying levels of canker.

my first few years i didn't spray, hoping i'd be lucky. then i started with one light dormant./copper spray and one or two applications of fungicide/insecticide during growth.

this last year, right before buds came out, i gave a heavy dousing of dormant oil/copper, and followed up 2-3 weeks later with a good spraying of the fungicide.

my dad is ready to take all his trees out. i'm thinking about taking my sweet cherries out, and maybe my peaches and plums, and maybe just have an asian pear orchard. but i'd love to have the variety of trees.

Hoping to hear from someone with a lot more experience than me. Maybe you started this way, and eventually learned the needed methods of keeping healthy trees. Maybe you just knew from the start what to do and have had success. I'm hoping i can get things under control. If you could advise on a regiment that might allow this.

The only other maintenance i do is thinning fruits when relatively small to 1 every 4-6 inches, and pruning (i once read that a bird should be able to fly between all your branches - so i try to keep trees open).

Thanks very much for your time and advice.

Comments (19)