SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

PJs before and after new house 2 yrs

pjtexgirl
13 years ago

Who is ready for spring and sick and tired of ice?

I'm doing a bit of gardening and hoping to use my gardening and color scheme to jazz my newer brick tract house from a sea of like houses without getting too crazy/tacky! I have a lot of work to go inside and out. This is my humble start :).

As a SAHM homeschooler money is very tight. New paint, seeding annuals and a LOT of cuttings,divides and discount plants.

Before House:

{{gwi:1337133}}

This is shortly after we moved in. I had removed a green "mustashe" across the front of the house, some weeds and some too large trees that were damaging the facia board and roof tiles. I forgot to take a true "before" picture. A great deal of the houses in this area have that same set up. You can also see where I'm starting to clear out the hell strip.For fun, I pruned a wild sunflower into a "tree". I'm still fighting for balance in the hellstrip now.

I also put in temporary annual vines to see if I liked the look. Vines "age" new houses and make them look more substantial.

After House:

{{gwi:1337135}}

I put in more beds My front yard trees are short. I will be filling the tree bed with plants this next year. One tree is a slow growing maple (caddo) the other a purple crepe myrtle. The CM matches my door. The maple only gets 30-40 ft tall and is conical instead of spreading. I didn't want a huge tree to eventually shade out the flowers by the door. I didn't want a large tree to dominate the smaller house/yard either. My Oaks,cypress and elms are in the back yard on the north west side for shade.There is a walkway of preformed brick like stepping stones leading up to the door. The native frog's fruit is the ground cover between them. I park my cars in the garage so people can park on my driveway instead of the street. The path gives passengers a place to step out on. The path also helps draw the eye to the front door.

The door alcove(?) is green and the front door is purple! The tone of the door combined with the glare off the storm door hides the purple color until you are very close. It's kind of a surprise :).

Purple Front Door:

{{gwi:1337136}}

Purple!

Before Patio:

{{gwi:1337137}}

No beds or much else around the patio but it does have a nice pergola. I will be painting the porch walls green this spring/summer. Despite the gorgeous pergola this was very bland and uninviting. There is a half dead chilian mesquite next to it. It looked slightly haunted until the bed filled out.

After Patio:

{{gwi:1337138}}

It has a large bed, a small patio fountain/*sigh* dog waterer, 2 huge climbing roses and lots of container plants now.

Future Painted Grey House:

{{gwi:1337139}}

My home colors for next spring as photoshopped by my dear DH to test trim and garage door colors. I also liked the idea of trellis flanking the doors so he copied the real trellis to the right and moved it to the left. There is a matching trellis now, but I'm actually doing a CM espaliar on that side not a matching vine. There is also going to be bricks at the end of our step on the walkway. I was so surprised that of all the colors I liked, gray was the best fit for the garage door and the trim! I wanted the visual focus to be on the front door not a giant white garage. In fact, every thing I've done so far is to draw the eye away from the huge,ugly garage door. Paint is so awesome. It's easy to change and doesn't break the bank.

Comments (24)