SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

Sick of Raspberries

firstyear
14 years ago

So I'm pretty new to this. Bought a house in the fall with an established raspberry patch that the previous owner had neglected. Trellised them, pruned them back, thinned to about 3 canes a foot, fertilized right before bud break. Did everything by the book. Even had to spend all winter and spring telling my wife that I did not prune/thin too much and we should still get a good crop. Finally last night after harvesting another 3 quarts, she admitted she was wrong about the pruning and I was right (small victory there). Anyhow, after harvesting about 20 quarts over the last two weeks and having made/eaten more fresh raspberries, cheesecake, pie, tarts, ice cream, jam, 4 quarts in the freezer, I feel the need to get off my chest that I am officially sick of picking raspberries. There's still 1 or 2 harvests left and as much as I love the things, I've had enough of raspberries for a few months. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm looking forward to cutting out the spent canes in a few days and ending the season.

Of course, I know come February of next year, the discussion at the dinner table will be about how much we can't wait for fresh raspberries in a few months :).

Comments (26)