SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmlanza

mosaic questions...

rmlanza
16 years ago

Hi gang. I'm new to doing mosaics. I've done a couple things with those half marbles and I did tile my own slate backsplash but I have a few questions...

Where do you get your tile from? I have a few things I'd like to mosaic but want to use either colored glass or thin tiles instead of something thick like broken china or marbles. The only place that seems to sell thin stuff to do a mosaic with is Michael's and it comes in such small bags and it's pricey!!! If you want to do a large project with lots of color then you'll pay a fortune for the stuff!

When you work with broken china, like plates or bowls or cups, don't you have a lot of curved pieces that stick out? Are the parts around the foot of the dish on the bottom unuseable? Can you pretty much only use the edges or the small part in the center if you want your piece to remain relatively flat?

What other types of items could you use to do a mosaic with that are thin and flat? I've seen coins being used but I don't want to do that. I have a 13" wood plate/charger thing that I'd like to do a mosaic on and use for a serving dish or maybe hang on a wall but it's almost completely flat (just slightly bowled with no rim or anything like a plate would have). I have another larger one, maybe 16" or so that does have a rim on it. Can you suggest some things to use to mosaic them with? I'd love to do thin tiles or glass but don't want to spend a lot of $ on stuff from Michael's. Do you have a good online source for mosaic supplies?

Sorry this is so long and for asking dumb questions...I'm just being cheap I guess! I suppose a 13" dish wouldn't take that much tile but I also don't really like all the opaque bright tiles at Michael's that much. And Lowe's only seems to have bright blue and white 4x4 porcelain tile...I wish they had a lot of colors. Maybe I need to find a tile shop.

Okay, sorry again for making this so long, I'm shutting up now;0)

Robin

Comments (13)