SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Storing the brassica harvest?

sunnibel7 Md 7
10 years ago

This year I finally (finally!) had a successful fall garden. Since I have had no joy in that regard for many previous years I waaaaay over-planted. So now I find that I don't know much about keeping these things: which will hold in the field and for how long, which will hold in the fridge, and how long, and which might be best blanched and frozen or otherwise preserved (kimchi and kraut come to mind). I think some of what I am asking has been covered in the thread on how much freezing brassicas can take, but feel free to repeat it here, I'm likely to clip this post so I can find it fast in the next few days.

Anyhow the crops I have are cabbage, kale, collards, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and chinese cabbage. I have had some success with certain of these in previous years, I just never had so much that I needed to prioritize which gets eaten/harvested first. I mean, a single head of broccoli from today is 3 lbs, plus a 3.75 lb head of cabbage... There are only two of us!

Another, non-brassica crop is my potatoes. Usually I get spring planted ones in summer, but this year I also have some summer-planted ones that are good sized plants, do I let them get hit by frost before I dig or is that a bad idea? Thanks!

Comments (18)