SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathrynd_gw

Another Celery Question

kathrynd
16 years ago

Hi,

I did a search and didn't find my specific question, although I did find a lot of good info.

We have grown celery before, but mostly in containers.

I bought packs, because it was too late for seed. Garden was tilled with compost and rabbit manure. (I grow organically)

Had no problems with growth, they looked great for many weeks. I had one plant go yellow and wasn't sure what was going on. I did water with compost/worm casting tea.

They were planted next to celeriac - which did wonderfully and grew large knobs. (caramelized Vidalia onions and celeriac - yum!)

We pulled the celery on Sunday and are going through the plants cleaning them up. Some had scale, which surprised me. Another problem to be addressed next year.

The main problem seems to be a darkening kind of rot at the base of the stem/plant. The brown streaks up the stem and the stems are dry inside. The bases are cracked. The greens on top are fine. Not all the plants were affected, perhaps one third.

I learned that the pack plants, even though they looked like one plant, were not. I should have thinned to one.

What could I have done differently? Maybe they were planted too close? I had them about 18 inches apart, but by the end of the season they were all touching. I would have guessed they were adequately watered, for the celeriac did well. The yellow plant was completely brown in the stems and is now compost.

Any ideas as to what this rot or disease are? I didnÂt see worms or borers, but they could still be part of it.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)