SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyclewest

Limited growth on bare root pears, apricot? w/pics

cyclewest
14 years ago

I planted four new trees this year - Starking Delicious and Moonglow Pear from Stark Bros, also the Chinese Apricot and HoneyCrisp Apple from Van Well Nursery. The HoneyCrisp appears to be doing fine. Although the pears had immediate growth after breaking dormancy, they haven't done much anything since. The leaves are also edged with black, but it hasn't progressed any worse. I planted all of the trees when they arrived in about March/April, which was still before our last frost in May, but I figured they were okay since they arrived dormant. The planting sites for the trees in question were prepared last year (except for the HoneyCrisp, which is doing fine, go figure). Soil is mostly clay, the pears are on top of a berm that I built up at least a foot higher to help with drainage. I has some fire blight on my apples last year, but I cut it out and the 2nd year Gala that was hit the hardest seems to have recovered this year. There was no fire blight on any of my apples this year. I sprayed my trees with dormant oil before the leaves came out early in the season.

Close up of leaves - you can click on the images for a close-up - {{gwi:118707}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

Full view of pear - sorry there are sunflowers in the background that sort of distorts the picture.

{{gwi:118708}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

View from above the pear tree

{{gwi:118709}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

The other pear is in similar condition.

The Chinese Apricot, meanwhile, also developed leaves when it broke dormancy, but also hasn't grown much at all.

Full view Apricot

{{gwi:118710}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

Close up of Apricot leaves

{{gwi:118711}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

Another close up of Apricot

{{gwi:118712}}From 2009 Additions - summer status

In prior years I planted apples and peaches and the first year growth was significant. The apples were dwarf and the peaches were standard - all from Stark Brothers. Is the weak showing due to the weather this year, the stock or my preparation and care? Any other suggestions or wise counsel? Will they make a better showing next year or should I plan on calling the nurseries to get replacement orders in for next year?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting