SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellyman_gw

Blackberry Productivity; Doyle vs. TC

13 years ago

Having finally figured out how to post in-line photos (with a lot of help from my son and wife), here are some photos of Triple Crown and Doyle blackberry trellises. Each of these trellises spans 16 feet, and they are in identical full sun and soil that has been improved for many years with stable manure. The trellises are now close to 15 years old, and it is about time to replace the end posts and dig and reset all the plants. Big project. I keep putting it off, but the blackberries keep producing every year anyway.

Since these photos were taken on July 2, the berries have all filled out and begun to ripen. We are picking every day. Nice rains in the past week or so in Northern Virginia.

I don't really intend these photos to be a conclusive study, but it is pretty clear when standing next to them that Doyle produces more than three times the number of berries as Triple Crown. Doyle also ripens slightly later, but continues production for at least 10 days when TC is finished. Size and quality are comparable, though Doyle berries may be slightly smaller and ever so slightly less sweet.

1. First an overall shot of a TC trellis:

{{gwi:118522}}

2. Another Triple Crown shot of the same trellis:

{{gwi:118523}}

3. Now a Doyle trellis:

{{gwi:118524}}

4. A close up of part of the Doyle trellis. Note the number and size of berry panicles compared with TC. Of course, both sides of the trellises have equal numbers of berries:

{{gwi:118525}}

5. A final overall shot of Doyle. Berries top to bottom. This trellis originally had only two plants.

{{gwi:118526}}

I don't want to be critical of TC, which is many times more productive than any of the older thorny varieties I used to grow. TC is a wonderful berry, and we are keeping them. Doyle plants may be harder to find and more expensive, but if you want really high production for winemaking or just juice, I am pretty sure they are capable of outproducing any other blackberry variety available, planted in similar soil and sun conditions. And, of course, trellised trailing blackberries will always outproduce stand-alone or erect varieties because they cover a larger vertical area.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Comments (15)