SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayakita

Hail Damaged Apricot Tree

kayakita
10 years ago

Hi,
One of my two six year old apricot trees is having problems. Last spring, just as my large, healthy apricot tree was beginning to bloom, we had a severe hailstorm which thrashed off most of the blossoms AND leaves from a main central branch with several; extending minor branches damaged as well. I noted the bare branches in the center of the tree with dismay (It's always beautiful and full of foliage all summer) but later... when I was able to harvest about three dozen apricots, decided next year would be better when the leaves and fruit reappeared and stopped worrying. However....today I noticed a large branch (one of the minor branches that had escaped injury and had been full of green leaves) was now full of dead, dried up leaves. What can I do? Is this a fruit tree disease or further hail damage? Should I amputate the entire large central branch including extending branches or just wait until next spring to see what happens? The tree has been quite healthy. since it was planted. We have always had a bumper crop of fruit (a bushel or more) every summer. I see no signs of insect damage.

Comments (4)