SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

Propagating Watermelon Peperomia?

tmac96
16 years ago

I have had great success propogating African Violets and wanted to try to propogate my new Watermelon Peperomia. I took leaf cuttings and prepared them just as I do my AVs.* I had a few questions though...

-If I remember correctly, it took about 3-4 weeks for them to root and another 3-4 weeks for the "mouse ears" or new leaves to poke up from the dirt. Will my Peperomias take about the same amount of time?

-Do they propogate pretty easily? I followed a pretty simple method and had 95% success with the AVs -- hoping my Peperomias will be just as responsive.

-With my AVs, oftentimes 1 leaf would create 2-3 new AV plants. Will Peps do the same or do they pretty much just make 1.

-My last question is probably a stupid one, but I'll ask anyway. My Watermelon Peperomias will yeild Watermelon Peperomias, right? I read that sometimes if you try to propogate a variagated Pep, sometimes you will end of with an all green one. Just wanted to make sure I will get more Watermelon Peps. Thanks for any input or advice!

*Here is how I prepared them:

1) Cut some leaves off, making sure to have plenty of stem.

2) Cut the stems at an angle to about 1" and dusted the ends with rooting hormone.

3) Filled a 2 oz. dixie cup with peat, perlite, and vermiculite at a 1-1-1 ratio. Moistened the mix, then put a hole in the mix using a pencil.

4) Gently placed the stem into the mix and pressed the soil around to secure. The leave is sitting just at the soil line.

5) Placed dixie cups into a ziploc bag and set under my flourescent lights with my AVs.

Hope this is a good method for Peps!

Comments (3)