SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Thinning genetic dwarf peaches

eukofios
14 years ago

This is the first year that I've really had a lot of blossoms set and form peaches on my genetic dwarf peach trees. Last year they tried but the leaf curl got them. This year the leaf curl is under good control, and one tree especially set so many fruits that they looked like clusters of fuzzy grapes on the little branches.

I bit the bullet and thinned twice, so that now the peaches are about 2 to 4 inches apart. There are 2 or 3 per one-year-old stem.

Here's my question. Everything that I have found about thinning peaches refers to ones that are not genetic dwarf. Since these trees have very short interstems, the 1-year-old branches are only about 6 inches long. They have huge tufts of leaves at the ends of the branches. THe interstems are probably about a half inch. That compares to, maybe 2 inches on my 'regular' peach tree.

I'm guessing that these peaches do not need to be as far apart as peaches on a regular tree. Is there a leaf count - such as it takes 6 leaves to make a good peach? How far apart should genetic dwarf peaches be thinned?

Thanks for your advice.

Comment (1)