SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelgrows

Are blueberry leaves supposed to look this pale?

rachelgrows
13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm having some blueberry issues and I'm hoping ya'll can maybe help me out. I planted two 1-year old blueberries (tifblue and climax rabbiteye, actually) late last fall in my backyard. The small things sprouted pretty, pale green leaves this spring, but since then not much has happened. Comparing the color to pictures of blueberry leaves on the internet, it just seems like something is off with mine. The color seems too... i dunno, pale - like a pale greenish yellow. The growth is also far less vigorous than I expected as very little has happened compared to the other berries (blackberry, raspberry) or plants in my garden.

I purchased a ferry morse ph meter at lowe's and it says my soil has a ph right about at 5, so according to that, it's acidic enough. However, are those things even "ball-park" accurate? I'm a little scared to do anything else to it because I can't find any pictures or descriptions that match mine with confidence. Maybe I'm under-watering? I'm nervous to water more in fear that perhaps the problem is actually over-watering!

What have I been doing for them lately? They get a nice deep watering about once a week. Once the top of the soil looks dry, I let it go a couple more days and then I consider watering again. I haven't experienced any typical under-watering symptoms like droopy-ness or wilting, so I figure it's ok. I have not fertilized them yet. I plan on buying an acid loving plant fertilizer and applying it tomorrow or this weekend.

If anybody would be willing to offer any advice, I'd really appreciate it. I've never grown blueberries before and they're making me quite frazzled. I'm one step away from calling this a ph issue and applying the garden sulfur I have in my garage, but I thought I'd consult the experts on the internets before I possibly do some damage. I included a picture of the cute leaf sprouts from earlier in the season and also a more recent one from a few weeks ago. Today they look quite a bit paler... certainly not what I'd expect a happy blueberry shrub to look like!

{{gwi:117902}}

{{gwi:117903}}

Comments (9)