SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiemomma4

Is it even possible to grow fruit for a newbie?

12 years ago

So, as usual, I jumped in with both feet and have purchased fruit trees and blackberries and blueberries and figs. I love them!

But here is my concern. Reading this forum I see how many problems everyone seems to have simply getting their fruit to mature to a point where it can actually be eaten. There's blight or rot or bugs or mold or dropping fruit or dropping leaves or all of the above and I wonder if I should have ever started this! I don't want to spray poison everywhere, that was the whole point so am I wrong to think that it's even possible to do it?

I'm not a farmer and I'm not an orchardist and I'm no expert for sure but I'm wondering if a learning curve even exists? Or is it simply a matter of sink or swim?

I've been cautious of my choices based on zone and chill hours and pollination but geez, can I beat a beetle I can't see? Can I get these poor little trees to grow or should I just have a giant tree garage sale and pass on the heartbreak early on? I'm already a little, sniff, attached.

Angie in No. Calif.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH