SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

My Fall Tango Celery Garden - And A Question? (pics)

rnewste
12 years ago

Wow, waiting for Celery to grow - - is like watching paint dry.

I started seeds on June 6 using the coffee filter / zip-lock bag, then transplanted them into 36 cell packs on June 29.

{{gwi:113752}}

Very slow to gain any size. Transplanted them again to 18 cell-pack trays on August 29:

{{gwi:113753}}

I prepped three EarthTainers with 1 cup dolomite Lime, 2 cups 14-14-14 CRF fertilizer, 1/3 cup Humic Acid, and 1/3 cup ActinoIron. In addition, I added in to 'Tainer #1 one-half cup Epsom Salts, in 'Tainer #2 one cup, and in 'Tainer #3 a total of 2 cups Epsom Salts.

{{gwi:113754}}

As I had 36 seedlings, I put them in each 'Tainer with 3 rows of 4 plants each. This equates to about 6 inches spacing between plants.

{{gwi:113755}}

I am now going to band them up to keep them from sprawling out too much:

{{gwi:113756}}

To my question, you can see the rubber-band on the left plant. How tightly should I pull the stalks together as they grow? Supermarket celery appears to be grown very tight as the stalks are interleaved. Should I do this with home-grown celery, or should I leave them bunched loosely?

So, to my calculation, I should have mature Celery sometime near Thanksgiving Day - - which will be just in time for my homemade turkey dressing.

One other "treat" is when sitting out on the deck near them, the pungent aroma of this Celery is quite intoxicating. Even if I never get a mature crop this Fall, the wafting smell has been worth it all.

Raybo

Comments (2)