SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Brix of Sweetcrisp blueberry

I've been pumped about Sweetcrisp blueberry for a month or more since I tasted the first berries. Well they are actually fully ripe and I'm more pumped than ever. They are much firmer than any other blueberry I've grown or tasted. Firm and crunchy almost like another type fruit. They are also sweet so today I tried to compare Santa Fe, my sweetest long-term berry to Sweetcrisp.

I took two samples each of about 20 berries each and mashed them up in a sock straining the resulting juice onto the refractometer. Santa Fe only tested 13 and 14 brix but they do taste very sweet. They must be very low acid.

The two samples of Sweetcrisp were much harder to get juice from. They are just so firm. Both tested about 18 brix.

There are lots of blueberries out there that are hype and hot air. But if you want something different and like a little crunch to your fruit, try Sweetcrisp.

One of my customers tried both and preferred the mushy Santa FE. So YMMV from mine. Also Sweetcrisp isn't a big yielder. For high yield and large berries try Emerald.

Here's a one year Sweetcrisp plant:

{{gwi:14873}}

Comments (4)