SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theoryofgravity_gw

Zutano avocado fruiting in nursery pot

TheoryOfGravity
11 years ago

Hello,

After 2 years of no fruit on my flowering Hass in the ground, I decided to grow a Zutano in a container to aid pollination. I found a Zutano at Lowe's this afternoon. It has about 5 tiny fruits the size of olives you see in a salad bar. I believe the nursery pot is 5 gallons. Just the standard smaller size fruit trees come in.

Questions:

1. I bought a fuller Zutano already last week (not repotted yet), but it wiser to buy the plant I can see will bear fruit and just help it fill out?

2. Should I not allow the fruit to grow? Will that expend too much of the plant's energy?

3. If it's better to take off the fruit, does it matter if I do that before or after repotting?

4. Would you instead recommend a different B flower variety? The store also had Bacon.

I have the idea of keeping the tree in a container as long as possible, rotating them out as they get too big over the years. I am sure I will experience certain realities as I unfold this plan. ;)

Thanks, I really appreciate your insight on this. I did a search and didn't find related info.

Catherine

Comments (3)