SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Bark Split Cause on Young Cherry

cebury
12 years ago

I've read the background on why/what barks splits are on fruit trees and I spotted this one early. But what would you guess cause of bark split on this young dwarf Stella cherry on GM61?

If scald, I'd assume more signs would exist, like peeling. There are 3 splits on this tree in various branch/crotch spots. The split shown below is the largest, 2 feet above the graft, above the painted portion on the ~1" caliper trunk.

{{gwi:114285}}

The split happened the last two weeks, but if sunscald the original injury was obviously earlier and the recent growth exposed it. The container trees are moved around frequently and are not always faced the same direction.

It has suffered water stress twice this Spring as it's still in a small container in gritty mix. If I don't water frequently, it's submitted to fluctuating growth conditions (another cause of split). It's still growing vigorously right now, but high temps are coming and they always slow, if not stop completely, until Fall comes.

Should I bark trace or just let it be and hope the last few weeks of Spring + coming Fall growth will repair itself?

Here was the framework in March (it's obviously fully leafed out now stands about 8' tall with new scaffold & several new sub-branches).

{{gwi:114286}}

What do you think?

Thanks

C4F / cebury

Comments (3)