SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annieb_inco

Two adopted houseplant in not-so-good-shape

14 years ago

Hi all,

I've just adopted two houseplants, a Spathiphyllum and an Umbrella Tree. Their previous custodian didn't really have a green thumb. I'm happy for the new plants, but am puzzled at what to do with them. I have questions about both below.

1. Spathiphyllum Question

I immediately repotted the Spath b/c its container seemed way too big. I smelled a moldy smell when I shook off the old soil, but didn't detect anything visually. I figured it would be ok\and happy in new potting soil and a suitable pot. That was about 3 weeks ago, and my little buddy is just not thriving yet. I've tried to be very careful about watering, and he just won't perk up. Do you have any ideas of what I can try?

{{gwi:94476}}

2. Umbrella Tree Question

I'm all for a plant taking on the shape it wants to, to a degree....but this Umbrella tree's quirky growth has been caused by an attempt to survive, not express itself. I'm tempted to air layer the two main stems to 'reset' the plant. (This would be my first attempt at air layering). I think he's fine now, but I'm a little worried about his 'crookedness' as he gets bigger. Is this the right approach? Or should I stake him instead?

{{gwi:94477}}

Many thanks in advance for your attention and advice!

BRs,

Annie

Comments (6)