SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nativeplanter_gw

crutches for overloaded peach tree?

nativeplanter
11 years ago

I have a Red Haven peach tree (purchased from a local nursery in spring 2011) that is now rather overloaded with peaches. I thought I thinned adequately, but it looks like I wasn't ruthless enough. I'm worried that a couple branches might break under the weight of the fruit. I can remove some now, but that's awfully hard to get myself to do, since they look so yummy! I have heard where people sometimes make crutches for fruit trees to support branches, but am having a hard time finding anything out on the best way to do it. I worry that some methods, like a 2x4 with a notch, might rub the bark off. Would a notch made of PVC pipe connectors work better? (I seem to be able to find precious little about the best way to make such supports on the 'net). Surprisingly, I can't find anything on this topic on the forum.

I'm new to growing frut trees; this is only my second summer. (So I'm making a lot of mistakes as I go along, even though I try to read a lot.) We don't have a lot of space (0.97 acre total for the lot), so I really would like to take good care of the few trees I can have. (Unfortunately, I won't be allowed to blanket the lot with fruit trees, either.)

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

Comments (14)