SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marc555

Wood shavings tying up nitrogen in blueberry patch?

marc5
14 years ago

My blueberries have mostly suffered since I put them in several years ago. I followed all the directions for testing and acidifying the soil, but the plants don't grow much, have reddish leaves, and suffer tip die-back. I mulch the bed with several inches of semi-composted wood shavings and horse manure. Lately the bushes have come back a bit with more applications of ammonium sulfate.

I'm beginning to wonder if the wood shavings are tying up nitrogen, preventing the bushes from getting enough N. Yes, recent soil tests show ph of 6.5, and I will continue to add sulfur. But perhaps N is more important than ph. I've been reading a lot about sawdust and wood chips creating N depletions in a garden. Perhaps I need to add much more ammonium sulfate. I have a few more old bushes that are simply growing in the lawn and "suffer" from benign neglect, but are doing much better than the bushes in the bed. They've never had sulfur or fertilizer added. Don and others, what are your thoughts? Should I be doubling or tripling up on ammonium sulfate?

Thanks as always,

Marc

Comments (8)