SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brewcider

I'd rather not kill my blueberries - so how do I plant?

brewcider
16 years ago

Hi, I live in San Diego and just bought 8 blueberries in 5 gallon containers... Misty, Oneal, Jubilee, Sharpblue. They're fairly large, about 4 feet and have berries on them.

I don't want to buy 8 pots and keep them in containers, so I need to prepare the ground.

I have clay soil with a PH of 7. The area had roses in it with those white rocks on top to keep weeds out. I already removed the roses and white rocks, so I have bare soil now.

My plan was to remove all the soil which is 3' by 20' and 1-2 feet deep, then put a layer of those white rocks on the bottom to help with draining, then mix up the original soil, peat moss, wood chips, pine needles, sulfur, and on the surface have a layer of pine needles. Would this arrangement work or kill?

The supplies I have right now are...

4 bags - Premier Sphagnum Peat Moss (2.2 cubic feet bags)

4 pound box - Growmore granular soil sulfur

1 bag - Sunshine Azelea Growing Mix (1.5 cubic feet)

2 bags - Yardcare Shredded Western Bark (3 cubic feet bags)

1 bag - Garden Time Shredded Red Cedar (2 cubic feet)

4 trashbags full of pine needles I gathered up

I've read that Nitrate can kill Blueberries. The Azelea Growing Mix has slow release fertilizer of Ammonium Nitrate and Potassium Nitrate. So I'm worried about that.

I heard you shouldn't mix in fresh woodchips or pine needles since they'll rob Nitrogen from the soil. So now I'm worried about that.

I was thinking about adding sand to my soil to help with drainage since I have clay, but some sand can have lime in it which will raise ph levels. So I don't want to do that!

Anyone have suggestions to what I should do?

Thanks,

Travis

San Diego, CA (Zone 10)

Comments (23)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH