SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_deck

Mom's Chandelier

big_deck
15 years ago

All the feedback from you wonderful friends is great. I am really getting me into the nostalgia of my life!

I have put up a new page with something that I DID have to 'fight' my siblings for. One of two things that I really wanted from their estate (they both died within a year of each other).

Long story, but I was not about to get caught up with the greed that emerged during this time period. My ex-sister really made it a difficult time to go through - as the only 'girl' she thought she was entitled to Everything. Welcome to 'disfunctional family'!

The other is a print that I framed for them on their 25th anniversary. I framed pictures part of the time I was in college and if I could do what I really want when I grow up, it would be to open a picture framing shop. It was something I loved and was really good at.

I might add this print to the chandelier page tonight?

Finally, when I was very young, we had a neighbor who was kinda my savior. She used to rescue me from the violence that my ex-father doled out.

Anyway, Beth was a Wisconsin farm girl (she was already in her 60's with she seduced me with her old fashion sugar cookies) and we remained very good friends until she died.

It was a surprise, but she left me a few things from her childhood. She used to tell me (and her family) that I reminded her of her late husband Harry and that was part of our bond. One of her stepsons told me after she died that she really felt for how I was treated as a child - though I did not really understand what he was talking about until about 15 or 20 years ago.

Beth's grandfather hand built a solid cherry buffet and hutch. There are no nails - all connections were either tongue and groove or dows. He also built a wooden magazine stand and a cigar stand that I have been looking for an ashtray that will fit for a long time.

I don't think about it much, but my prize possession (other than the memories) from her is a Spinet Desk. Mahogany I think. The finish was mared by Mayflower in 1983 in a move to Los Angeles, and when they 'it' the refinished it - so I continue to oil the hell out of it to try to get it back to original form. I'll probably take a picture and post it as well tonight?

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Chandelier

Comments (9)