SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Very successful year for sweet cherries

franktank232
11 years ago

I've been throwing around the idea of chopping the sweet cherries and making room for other fruits. After this year, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I have had an excellent crop of Lapins and Kristin sweet cherries. Its been dry enough where cracking has yet to be seen. We did have some rain (over an inch), but all that did was make the cherries even bigger (they've been huge). The birds (Robins) have been horrific. I have multiple layers of netting and they still try to get in. Several have trapped themselves in it and they still come back. I used one coating of Surround and have had maybe 3 or 4 cherries with PC larvae. The Lapins are done and the Kristin are just ripening up.... I guess they are a fruit that will vary year by year, but maybe I'll just need to have enough variety to spread out the ripening season.

My Kristin...there is a row of Kristin, Lapins and Black Gold...I will need to hack them back at some point. They are all on Gisela 5. I also have a Stella in a container that just was cut back 50%.

{{gwi:111618}}

Comments (15)