SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfridgeil

Imidacloprid vs Thiamethoxam for PC

wolfridgeil
12 years ago

I am trying to control plum curculio on my home orchard consisting of 5 apple, 2 peach and 4 cherry trees.

Being admittedly inexperienced and concerned for bees, I did not start spraying insecticide until June 1st thus I missed petal fall by about 2 weeks according to my records.

I believe I may have left the door open to plum curculio. I've found the adult pest more than once on fruit in fact as late as yesterday. Egg laying scars are evident on about a 1/3 of my fruit. I've cut into the scar area on several fruits and in only one case did I find an egg on a peach. On many fruit, especially apple, I see a very thin brown tunnel up to a few mm, but no egg and no larva.

1st question: Where am I in the PC generation cycle and when do you think the adult PC activity started given the cool wet year that we have had? Should I be seeing tiny larva in the fruit at this stage? I feel like I've been fairly observant - I believe the scars have not been on the fruit for that long - but I'm not sure.

I used Bayer Advanced soil drench (imidacloprid) 3rd week of April on all my trees only because it was effective in reducing japanese beetle foliage damage as evidenced when I used it last year. Bloom was 5-4-11 to about 5-17-11. I had my best fruit set ever this year on my 5 year old apple trees. My peach did OK too. So I'd say the imidacloprid did not interfere with pollination with respect to this application timing (the label does not warn about pre-blossom application).

2nd question: Do you think the imidacloprid is having neonicotinoid-like curative effectiveness similar to what would be expected wirh thiamethoxam application (for instance Maxide Dual Action)?

I realize the two chemicals are in the same family of insecticides - but I have not found any reference to imidacloprid having PC egg and larva curative effects (for one it is not listed on the Bayer product label). I would anticipate this effectiveness due to its chemical similarity - but you would think that as long as it has been around that somebody would have reported such effectiveness. It was not listed in the opening summary of the 2009 Hoffman study.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/36526/1/IND44273575.pdf

I'm anxious to save my fruit and would like to establish a protocol in years to come so that I can spend a little less time thinking (i.e. learning) about orchard care. Today I got my hands on a bottle of the Maxide dual-action product contact killer plus curative spray (egg, larva killer). So rather than sacrifice fruit to test the effectiveness of the imidacloprid - I'm going to give PC a double whammy.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments (6)