SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Curative activity of insecticides on PC

franktank232
12 years ago

Thought I'd share this if you haven't seen or read it.

"ABSTRACT Tart cherry, Prunus cerasus L. variety Montmorency, fruit were infested with plum

curculio,Conotrachelus nenuphar (Herbst) (Coleoptera:Curculionidae), and treatedwith insecticides

to target late instars, neonates, and eggs. The organophosphates azinphos-methyl and phosmet and the

neonicotinoid thiamethoxam reduced larval emergence rates by 90% for all life stage targets; after

30 d, few surviving larvae were found inside fruit. Acetamiprid and thiacloprid also had curative

activity and yielded 75% reductions in emergence and few surviving larvae in the fruit after 30 d.

The juvenile hormone analog pyriproxyfen reduced larval emergence, but 66%of fruit thatwas treated

to target late-instars still had live larvae inside of them after 30 d. Novaluron, chlorantraniliprole,

and esfenvalerate had no curative activity. Indoxacarb had limited curative activity, and all targeted

life stages had larval emergence. Internal and external residues were analyzed and are discussed in

relation to their penetration and curative potential. The curative activity of azinphos-methyl has

played an important role in meeting federal standards for infestation-free tart cherries at processing.

Regulatory changes are eliminating the use of this compound, and new integrated pest management

programs for plum curculio will need to address the loss of azinphos-methyl�s curative activity."

Link

Last night I picked up a bottle of spray that contains Thiamethoxam (Maxide). I noticed a few apricots with telltale PC egg laying marks (the trees had been sprayed with Permethrin). I figure the damage occurred the nite before (keeping a very watchful eye this year). I gave each fruit a good spray of Maxide. We'll see what happens.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH